virtual video/chat software

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by lmemsm, May 4, 2020.

1. lmemsm

lmemsm

Everyone seems to be using virtual chat software like Zoom, etc. or online video/chat software that requires the latest browsers in order to do virtual meetings. Has anyone had any luck running any of this stuff on Windows XP? Most of the software I've tried crashes or won't install or won't run. With everyone moving meetings online, it leaves people out if they don't have the latest software/hardware.

lmemsm, May 4, 2020
  2. lmemsm

rebornjumpman

I haven't tried anything on my XP laptop, granted I only have to do those meetings for work so I have my work issued laptop for that. Is your machine beefy enough to run VMs? If so, maybe try running a newer version of Windows or a modern Linux distro in it for the video chats. Not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

rebornjumpman, May 5, 2020
  3. lmemsm

ClippyBeer

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux

Supported operating systems
    • macOS X with macOS 10.7 or later
    • Windows 10
      Note: For devices running Windows 10, they must run Windows 10 Home, Pro, or Enterprise. S Mode is not supported.
    • Windows 8 or 8.1
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista with SP1 or later
    • Windows XP with SP3 or later
    Among others including several Linux distros.

I've been using Zoom a lot on my Android tablet during this pandemic. I've chatted with people on various OS/devices and it is seamless. Quite frankly I prefer it to Skype for video chat/conferencing. I may have to dig out an old USB webcam I have somewhere and try it on my old XP laptop.

This may be the only way to video chat on XP since Skype is no longer supported. I also tried Jitsi Meet with XP but couldn't get it to work.

ClippyBeer, May 6, 2020
  4. lmemsm

rebornjumpman

XP SP3 or later? Hmm... I learned something new today. Thanks ClippyBeer.

rebornjumpman, May 6, 2020
  5. lmemsm

lmemsm

Couldn't get Zoom to run on my laptop. Got an error regarding msvcp90.dll and a missing function.

lmemsm, May 15, 2020
  6. lmemsm

lmemsm

Tried Jitsi Meet on an Android tablet and it runs fine. Had trouble with Zoom on Android. It started asking for a sign-in and I didn't have one.

lmemsm, May 15, 2020
Ask a Question