VHD 2 Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by eatup, Apr 8, 2015.

1. eatup

eatup

Has anyone tried it? Install XP in VirtualPC, then try to clone it to a physical disk via a program like VHD2Disk. Did it work? Will it work on a partition volume other than C:?

Btw, I finally did manage to find at least one thing Win 7 does better than XP after my weeks of testing:

1. Audio enhancements. On XP, I use SRS Audio Sandbox (subsequently called SRS Audio Essentials) to enhance the sound (ie. give it sim surround, bass boost) as I can't stand the crude sound being outputted by Windows alone. Win7 actually includes these enhancements. (They're not on by default, you'd have to enable them in control panel). Does this come with all versions of Win 7? I dunno (my test system was 7 Ultimate). Anyways, Win7 has this by default but not ON, and now SRS Audio Essentials is obsolete. They no longer sell the product! Could be Microsoft bought out this component from SRS to include in Win7 and UP! So, I tested it. Now my music actually sounds much much better in Win7 with these on than XP w SRS!

2. VHD! Wow, I never knew you could native boot a VHD containing Win7/8 w/o a hypervisor/virtual machine present. Makes it so much easier to do system restores. Just zip the VHD file. Malware infects system? No problem, just decompress that zip file again! No more slipstreaming updates or manually re-installing them everytime. Just install them once to the clean vhd and you are updated for life! (The caveat is the OS will not transfer to another machine -- to get a universally transferable vhd, you have to do everything in VirtualPC, which is very slow and time consuming, then sysprep the image...)

Plus, I've managed to get a zip file is that 1/3 the size of the vhd file on several occasions. And this is a dynamically expanding vhd file we're talking about! Amazing! Also, malware can't affect that other vhd you have on your system (unless it was designed to specifically target vhds). If you have 2 vhds residing on the same machine, your spouse/mother/father can infect his/her vhd portion all they want, your vhd part will be virtually immune as their OS will be blind to yours and vice versa!

2.5 Forget super high-speed wi-fi on Win7. It only works with certain websites. Win7's Wi-Fi is rather unstable over XP. Sure, Win7 can fully utilize the latest fast wi-fi tech, but don't count on it to maintain that connection. XP has longer connection longevity than 7. It's often a pain in the rear end to reconnect to the router in Win7 after you've been dropped d/t noise interference...

Things XP still does way better:

1. No screen scrambling (OS doesn't interfere with/affect display output).

2. High frame rate for apps/video playback. XP still produces higher fps on an older duo-core machine than the latest intel CPU on Windows 7/8.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    eatup, Apr 8, 2015
Ask a Question