Using multi-core CPU's with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by SmilinDoug, Nov 19, 2020.

1. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

Do any of you use a multi core CPU's on your XP computer? I read where you have to change some settings in the BIOS to make it work. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm thinking about it. I'm using a single core AMD Sepron 2.2GHz, socket AM2+ CPU. The rest of the info is in my sig for my desktop.

I'm using onboard video right now, but a friend of mine is sending me an old PCI Express video card. Once I try the video card and I feel that I might upgrade, I'll try another CPU. I'm just trying to get enough information as I can, before I start changing and adding stuff to this computer.

Any help you guys and gals can give me will be much appreciated.

I hope everyone is doing well!

SmilinDoug, Nov 19, 2020
  2. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit runs fine in my Dell OptiPlex 980 minitower which has:
    Intel Core i7-860 2.80 GHz quad core processor
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2 GB PCI-E graphics card

flavallee, Nov 19, 2020
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  3. SmilinDoug

priscus

When the first 64 bit CPU became available from AMD, I got one and assembled a machine using a MOBO from Abit. (Now long gone but they did aim their products at enthusiasts rather than the bulk manufacturers.) This was around 2005/2006. I ran 32 bit XP, and 64 bit S.u.S.E. Linux on the machine.

When a dual core version of processor became available from AMD, (around the same clock speed) I replaced my single core with a dual core.

The result was that XP programmes were running about 15% SLOWER on the dual core than they had been on the single core! Linux applications appeared to run neither faster or slower.

I think I also found similar with Intel Core2 processors (different machine) though I have not documented performance data for the Intel machine.

priscus, Nov 19, 2020
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  4. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

Thanks for the help guys! I'm looking at a quad-core AMD running at 3.0GHz that only costs $24.00'

I'm mostly going to be gaming on this computer. I built it for LAN parties back in the early 2000's.

SmilinDoug, Nov 19, 2020
  5. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

SmilinDoug:

Is the ECS EliteGroup A780VM-M2 in your desktop specs the same motherboard that you plan to install an AMD 3.00 GHz quad core processor in?

If you are, there are multiple AMD Phenom II X4 models which are supported.

flavallee, Nov 20, 2020
    SmilinDoug and Elizabeth23 like this.
  6. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

Yes there are, but I don't want to spend that much money. I can't work because of a disability, and I'm trying to save as much as I can. Hopefully I'll be healthy again someday.

SmilinDoug, Nov 21, 2020
  7. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

Which AMD 3.00 GHz quad core processor are you planning to install?
    I'm going to take a wild guess it's the AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00 GHz quad core processor.

The AMD Sempron LE-1250 2.20 GHz single core processor currently in your computer is a very weak one.
    Upgrading to any AMD 3.00 GHz quad core model would definitely be an improvement.

cpu.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2020
    flavallee, Nov 21, 2020
  8. SmilinDoug

Compaq_8200_Elite

Compaq 8200 Elite I7-2600 3.4GHz Cores: 4 Threads: 8, dual boot XP-XP64 8gb ram

Compaq_8200_Elite, Nov 23, 2020
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  9. SmilinDoug

trimis

I had the computer shop 'upgrade' the dual core CPU of my OptiPlex 960 to a quad core CPU with no problems, but also with no performance improvement I can see. No idea if they fiddled with the BIOS. Also had the onboard graphics 'upgraded' to a graphics card, again with no noticeable improvement.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/top...n-with-hardware-still-supported-by-windows-xp

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/newest-graphics-card-that-supports-windows-xp.256433/

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7znd0w/which_cpu_is_best_for_windows_xp/

trimis, Nov 26, 2020
  10. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

What is the exact description of the original dual core processor?
    What is the exact description of the replacement quad core processor?
    Once you provide that information, we should be able to determine what their performance scores are and what their single thread ratings are.

flavallee, Nov 26, 2020
  11. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

What is the exact description of the original on-board graphics?
    What is the exact description of the replacement graphics card?
    Once you provide that information, we should be able to determine what their performance scores are.

flavallee, Nov 27, 2020
  12. SmilinDoug

trimis

No idea...I'd guess the original onboard graphics & CPU is probably mentioned here:
    https://www.dell.com/downloads/glob...sktop-optiplex-960-technical-guidebook-en.pdf
    https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-...ter-intel-core-2-duo-e8500-160gb-2gb-bo3zc20/

The card is:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/1FT-002U-0...0 mt graphics card-_-9SIA575A9Z1832-_-Product
    The so-called upgraded CPU is:
    https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLB8V.html

trimis, Nov 29, 2020
  13. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

This appears to be the original processor and graphics device in your Dell OptiPlex 960:

Before.jpg

This appears to be the processor and graphics card you upgraded to:

After.jpg

Now I'll give you the bad news.

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 quad core processor has a higher performance score than the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 dual core processor, but it has a lower single thread rating.

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card has a higher performance score than the Intel Q45 integrated graphics device, but it's still a weak performer.

Because of this, you will likely see very little (if any) improvement in speed and performance.

I hope you didn't pay that very high price of $159.00 for that graphics card.
    That same graphics card can be bought for about 1/3 of that price at Newegg.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
    flavallee, Nov 29, 2020
  14. SmilinDoug

secpar

Windows XP will appropriately use multi-core CPUs, as in my experience. I think that anything less than a dual-core is a mistake.

I'm running an AMD AM3+ FX-8320E "8-core" processor. Now, it does list itself as "8 cores" in Windows, it may technically only be 4-cores with 8 threads, if one considers the AMD lawsuit in which AMD admits nothing, but still pays out (see https://www.amdcpusettlement.com/).

Having that many cores "guarantees" I won't have a bogged down system, and I can continue to use my computer reliably without noticeable stalling.

In fact, I've got a surveillance system, viewed from Palemoon, with a 12MP camera pulled up and my processor is around half to 2/3 working. Other cameras are pulled up, but only on substreams until I need to switch. Also, running a mail client, Palemoon v26, NewMoon v27 for XP, Firefox 27 ESR and MyPal all opened at once, among other things.

The only active resource intensive thing going on is that Palemoon with the camera system.

Such things cannot be done on a single core system and still operate smoothly, I'd wager.

secpar, Dec 1, 2020
  15. SmilinDoug

flavallee Guest

cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

secpar:

Your computer is in much better performance shape than the computer trimis has.

flavallee, Dec 1, 2020
    secpar likes this.
  16. SmilinDoug

trimis

When I bought it the price was $118 at NewEgg. Yeah, a waste of money.

trimis, Dec 5, 2020
Ask a Question