Using an old XP computer on a newer TV

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by nzrabbitty, Dec 29, 2022.

1. nzrabbitty

nzrabbitty

I have an old XP computer running XP and would like to connect it to our New TV.
    Problem:-
    The XP Computer only Has 9 Pin D plug Video outlet only,
    The TV only has 3 HDMI Plugs and 3 AV plugs (video - L Audio - R Audio)
    are looking for awy to connect this computer to this TV.
    it has 3 fantastic Adventure games on that will not run properly on the newer operating systems (even with the hacks)
    any one got any ideas that may work.
    The Old geezer from down the rod.

nzrabbitty

nzrabbitty, Dec 29, 2022
  2. nzrabbitty

tekkaman

I think there are 3 ways you can do this.

1- VGA to RCA Converter: https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD188...ics&sprefix=vga+to+rca,electronics,139&sr=1-3

2- VGA to HDMI: https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Convert...cs&sprefix=vga+to+hdmi,electronics,143&sr=1-3

3- Getting a Video Card

Option 3 is the one that will bring you the best image quality because there is no conversion involved and it will fill the TV screen. You'll have to list the specs so we can recommend you a card that is compatible with your setup. Of course option 3 requires you to open the computer. The converters work but sometimes they're so cheaply made that they don't last long.

tekkaman, Dec 29, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  3. nzrabbitty

ClippyBeer

You don't want to go the VGA to AV/composite route. The picture quality will be awful. I've used a VGA to HDMI converter in the past and the results were excellent although it was a different model than the one tekkaman is linking to. Used it for years until I bought a newer PC with HDMI out.

The optimal solution is of course a video card with HDMI out but since you're talking about XP you more than likely will be buying something used since neither AMD or NVidia offer XP drivers for any current or recent models.

We definitely need your system specs to offer advice on what card will work with your system.

ClippyBeer, Dec 29, 2022
  4. nzrabbitty

tekkaman

You're right. I used to have an old box that converted from VGA to RCA and while in that time (2003) the image quality wasn't so bad when used with a crt, somehow color information was lost and the image would look 16-bit instead of 32-bit for some reason. I don't know if the newer one have this problem. And of course text is more difficult to read.

tekkaman, Dec 30, 2022
  5. nzrabbitty

ArcticFoxie

I use VGA to HDMI and they work great.
    Another option not yet mentioned is USB to HDMI.

ArcticFoxie, Dec 30, 2022
  6. nzrabbitty

tekkaman

I've never heard of that till you posted it. Sounds interesting. Still it would be nice if the OP could've let us know the specs of the computer. It seems the USB to HDMI adapter works in HD if the USB port on the computer is 3.0. In USB 2.0 it defaults to 4:3 aspect ratio 800x600. Well, we don't know how old the computer is. We don't know anything. Hopefully the OP will post again. Maybe busy with holidays or something ? Anyways I did found one of those adapters on Amazon. But they say you have to turn off the antivirus to install the driver. It sounds a little odd. And also it says it's better for static images because of framerate issues. Quoting from amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Multiple-Monitors-Compatible-Windows/dp/B0BHH6HN2G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=292OGQSCKWDAC&keywords=usb+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1672752479&sprefix=usb+to+hdm,aps,203&sr=8-2&th=1
    So I don't know if they're a good idea or not. Maybe a brand name one is better I don't know.

tekkaman, Jan 3, 2023
  7. nzrabbitty

ArcticFoxie

I have (at least) three of the USB to monitor adapters
    On my five-monitor primary setup, I use two of them. Both by j5create. One is USB to HDMI, the other is USB to VGA.
    On my three-monitor secondary setup, I use one USB to VGA, also by j5create.

I AM NOT A GAMER! And RARELY so much as use YouTube.
    I also do not Netflix or Hulu on the computer, the living room 50" TV is for that, why use the five-monitor or three-monitor 21" computer monitors?
    So I have ZERO reference/experience on "frame drops".

ArcticFoxie, Jan 6, 2023
  8. nzrabbitty

tekkaman

I´m not implying your solution doesn´t work. Just that as with every electronics, it might be a good idea to buy a good brand. You have experience with j5create so maybe the OP should get that one instead of a no name one. Anyways the OP disappeared. Maybe he/she found a solution already.

tekkaman, Jan 6, 2023
Ask a Question