User Issues on Networked Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Archive, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Archive

Archive

In our office, we have a networked hard drive tower, called "Drobo" that is used for sharing files and allows read/write permissions for folders and users. There are 6 computers in the office and only one user per computer. Each has their own username and password.

Seeing the Drobo and connecting with a username and password works for the Mac users, but as soon as a Windows XP user has to log in to access folders, the system returns error messages that folders are already opened by other users.

I have spent many hours trouble shooting with the "Drobo" support team and they insist it is a Windows problem.

Here is the error message I receive and the one following it thereafter whenever I try to log in to folders on the "Drobo" networked hard drive on the Windows XP machines:

1) The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different username and password,
    first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.

2)The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

Your advice most appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

Archive, Jun 16, 2014
  2. Archive

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jun 17, 2014
  3. Archive

Archive

Thanks for your quick response.

The workaround addresses the issue. It is helping me understand WHAT to do.
    "
    Method 1
    Use the IP address of the remote server when you try to connect to the network share.
    Method 2
    Create a different Domain Name System (DNS) alias for the remote server, and then use this alias to connect to the network share.
    "

If someone on the forum could help me with the HOW, I'd be on my way.
    For example, in method 1, it says to use the IP address - but where?
    In what process of the work flow?

In method 2, it requires creating a new domain name alias - again, where? On each PC?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Archive, Jun 18, 2014
  4. Archive

Elizabeth23

I do not know how myself, but I searched on the internet for these maybe they may help and/or someone can jump in here and offer more advice and knowhow.

http://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleId=6911
    how to find computer name

http://shimer.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Find-the-IP-Address-of-a-Remote-Computer
    how to find ip address

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780789736956/downloads/0789736950_appc.pdf
    tutorial on networking, hopefully the steps here are what you need, it is pdf so you will need adobe reader or foxit reader installed

Elizabeth23, Jun 18, 2014
  5. Archive

Archive

Thanks again Elizabeth. Your first post was helpful and I hope someone can walk me through the two methods recommended for the work-arounds.

In regards to the new links, thanks for taking the time. With the issue I'm having,
    1. I know the title of the remote device.
    2. I have all the IP info relating to the remote device.
    3. I don't need to establish remote access between two computers.

Thanks again and hope someone can jump in about "Error message when you use user credentials to connect to a network share from a Windows-based computer: "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password""

Archive, Jun 18, 2014
Ask a Question