USB Wired Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by DarylLewis, Mar 25, 2020.

1. DarylLewis

DarylLewis

Evening all,

I have recently installed a Windows XP partition, alongside Windows 10.
    I am having problems with the USB wired mouse on Windows XP.

Strangely the mouse works when I copy over a new mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys to the system32/drivers folder.
    However when I next start Windows it has forgotten those settings, and the HID compliant mouse is unavailable. Only the touchpad will move the cursor. It seems to forget the USB mouse every time Windows is restarted.
    I have installed new generic drivers and tried new input.inf files but I can't seem to resolve this issue.

Any advice appreciated :)

DarylLewis, Mar 25, 2020
  2. DarylLewis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 25, 2020
  3. DarylLewis

DarylLewis

Thanks so much for that link Elizabeth, I will go through each tip on that page carefully to try and work out the issue. I think it may be the USB root drivers or something to do with the USB ports themselves where I'm going wrong here. I have the same problem in each USB port I try. I will try to uninstall the USB drivers and start from scratch. In answer to your question, the Windows 10 partition is fine - no issues there! Mouse recognised all the time.
    Take care :)

DarylLewis, Mar 26, 2020
  4. DarylLewis

Elizabeth23

will check back, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 26, 2020
  5. DarylLewis

DarylLewis

Hey Elizabeth - just wanted to update as I dislike it when people ask for help then vanish completely!
    So I followed all steps on the link you sent me, and XP did indeed re-install the USB drivers on next startup.
    I still cannot get a standard, 3-button optical mouse to work on XP, frustratingly! Would you know if there are generic / HID-compliant drivers I can use for XP to recognise a mouse? Tried to find these on Google with no success unfortunately. This seems such a basic task and I can't believe I'm struggling to get a mouse working in XP, what a novice!! :rolleyes:

DarylLewis, Mar 27, 2020
  6. DarylLewis

Elizabeth23

make and model numbers of mouse and make , model number of pc, please

Elizabeth23, Mar 27, 2020
  7. DarylLewis

DarylLewis

Ok so I am using a Dell Inspiron 5520 Laptop. Windows 10 and Windows XP (No issues with Win10).
    I am trying 2x different mice, with no joy as yet! Trust GXT105 and HP MSU1158.
    (Both just basic, optical). Now trying one of the many driver scanners out there, i never go down this path normally! Will see if they throw anything at me!

DarylLewis, Mar 27, 2020
  8. DarylLewis

Elizabeth23

https://www.trust.com/en/product/21683-gxt-105-izza-illuminated-gaming-mouse

according to the website above the Trust GXT105 , a gaming mouse is only good for vista and above

System requirements

PC / Laptop with USB port Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista

scroll almost to the bottom of page for above.

for the HP MSU1158

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03385353#AbT0

Try the mouse on another computer or a different mouse on the current computer to see if the issue follows the mouse.

• If the issue does not occur on another computer with the same mouse, it could be software related.
    hewlett packard stopped all support for xp so you will not find a driver for xp with this mouse.

I am using a usb mouse on my dell dimension 3000 from staples, cost about 3 bucks, s/n 1707003832, model 23415. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 27, 2020
  9. DarylLewis

DarylLewis

Thank you - I will consider something else! :)
    I have had both mice working fine on XP until the system is rebooted - which is the strange thing! So I know it must be possible if XP doesn't "forget" the drivers each time it's shut down! Thanks for all your patience in helping me with this.

DarylLewis, Mar 27, 2020
  10. DarylLewis

Elizabeth23

it might have something to do with the dual boot also, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 28, 2020
Ask a Question