USB New Hardware Driver Imcompatible with Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by matthew202, Dec 22, 2015.

1. matthew202

matthew202

I had problems with my computer crashing so the local repair shop re-installed Windows XP. Only one problem. Went to plug-in my flashdrive and the "New Hardware" wizard popped up, I went through the process, the wizard chose the Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832 and then it came up with a dire warning:

"The software you are installing for this hardware has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing."

I tried deleting the existing drivers for the USB and re-starting Windows but the "New Hardware" wizard popped up again and the same problem......

Should I ignore the warning and install? or look elsewhere for a USB driver? Seems like the driver should work as wizard found the driver on my system.....

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanx, M.

matthew202, Dec 22, 2015
  2. matthew202

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 22, 2015
  3. matthew202

matthew202

ignored the warning and installed the driver and the usb drive works now......however, the "install new hardware" window keeps popping up trying to install the usb driver ......

I also noticed after the "new hardware window" popped up there are "USB serial bus (USB) controller" drivers with yellow exclamation points in the device manager....

It seems windows is fighting itself when it comes to mu usb ports.....any suggestions?

Thanx,

M.

matthew202, Dec 28, 2015
  4. matthew202

Elizabeth23

above files may be corrupt, you can right click on the .inf file and choose install and it may ask for the install cd or you can point it to the service pack files i386.

if you do not have the files, I can upload them to my onedrive account and then you could download them.

Elizabeth23, Dec 29, 2015
  5. matthew202

matthew202

Played with it a bit....I deleted the controllers and re-booted, the install hardware window popped-up and before I did anything I checked the device manager and there was already a controller under the usb heading with a yellow exclamation point.

Went through with the installer several times and it installed Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831, 2832, 2834, 2835, 2836 and finally 283A. The usb was finally working and no more install hardware windows. I disabled the controller with the yellow exclamation point.

Rebooted, the usb is working now and no new install hardware windows.

It seems that one of the drivers is working but don't want to mess with a good thing and try and delete the others and unknowingly delete the driver that is working.....

Thanx for the help,

M.

matthew202, Dec 30, 2015
  6. matthew202

Elizabeth23

Okey dokey. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 30, 2015
Ask a Question