USB Mouse stopped working

After trying many things I am out of ideas.
I have 2 identical hp compaq 6710b laptops but one has the mouse not working.
I copied the usb files from the working one as per this I found but still no joy...Pls help..

“Cannot install this hardware. Error occured during installation of the device. Driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. May be because the INF was written for Win 95 or Later. Contact your hardware vendor.”

This error message refers to a problem with your computer’s configuration and should be investigated with your computer’s manufacturer if none of the other tips help. In your Windows INF directory (usually C:\Windows\INF) there should be three files installed with Windows called usb.inf, wdmaudio.inf and wdma_usb.inf. If any of these is missing you may encounter the error message. To restore one of the missing files, you can try reinstalling Windows, repairing Windows from the original installation CD or copying it from another computer running the same version of Windows as yours. We are unable to provide copies of working INF files; please contact your computer manufacturer for further help with this problem.

Thanks for your time.
Yes. USB drives read fine. Yes the mouse works fine on other laptop. I also tried another mouse with no joy.

USB Serial Bus Controller shows red x in device manager.
removing and reinstalling the driver and rebooting all failed to help.

Is it the wrong device driver?

If someone has installed wrong driver, do you have the option, in device manager to roll back to an earlier version of driver?

Thanks. I am the only one who used the laptop. I can't think of anything that would have caused it to happen.
Unfort no option to roll back. I did already uninstall and still have issue.

does the keyboard work?

how did you uninstall and install? unplug mouse , and use laptop keyboard to uninstall mouse, then turn off pc, plug in mouse, turn on and let windows find the device

Sounds as if you are going to have to do a repair console fix, or a fresh OS install.

Before so doing, make sure your driver/file is not corrupted because hardware faulty. Download 'Memtest86' and check RAM is fault-free.

https://www.memtest86.com/

that software did not work for me.
I get message when trying to reinstall drivers.
error occurred during installation
driver installation file is missing
this may be because the inf was written for win 95 or later

Back