usb fails after XP install on sandy bridge

Hi,
i love my xp machine, so much that i panicked when the GPU from my 2006 laptop died.
still run some 15 year old software on it and i use usb to transfer files to my modern system.
within a week i had a t420 i5-2520m and put xp on it,
but i need a small bit of dedicated memory on the GPU and the t420 doesn't have that.

and then i came across an old dell xps I7-2670QM with GT540M 2GB and i thought this would probably be a monster running XP.
and maybe i could even hook it up to a qhd screen with the displayport,
so i bought me a 2011 sandy bridge laptop
i started flirting with XP64, since an i7 with only 3gb seems a waiste of hot hardware for XP.
but since i was unable to get drivers i just went back to my old shiney XP cd.

all is well until i install XP, then all USB ports become so slow, they become unusable. on 7 and 10 they work flawlessly, when booting from usb that also seems to work normal.
i thought i could solve that by installing hm67 drivers from a cd, tried a few versions, but that didn't go too well...lpc took long.. and xp ended up with a bsod after reboot.

my question is: does anybody know what drivers i'm missing and where i can get them?
or is the whole trouble i'm in because this is just the wrong cpu or laptop, having too much cores or some weird chipset problems.

Last edited:
Without the exact model number it's hard to provide help. Go to Dell's website and enter the service tag number at the bottom of your laptop which will show available drivers. If there are no XP drivers you face an uphill battle trying to get all XP components working properly. You will have to rely on Driverpack or Snappy Driver Installer which I've used (open source).

It will be a lot of trial and error because most of these drivers are from other vendors that make similar hardware. I have a Gateway laptop that came with Vistax64 and there are no XP drivers. I used Snappy to install the Conexant audio drivers from Dell (it was the third driver on the list). Lots of installing, rebooting.

Last edited:
no xp dell drivers for the l502x. tried most of what you suggested without avail.
alas couldn't find a setting in the bios to disable hyperthreading, because i thought, 8 is just too much threads for a 32bit xp machine.
when installation of xp is done, it appears to me almost like a single core machine.
after half a dozen of the hm67/76 chipset drivers, i guess i'm loosing the uphill battle.
in xp64 i can't even install drivers for the hd gpu..tried that on the t420

the better question would be: if i want a machine that is as young as possible, has all drivers, a gpu with >=256mb dedicated memory, usb ports working, a displayport out and is common to find?. what would be my best bet?
and is there a laptop for which all of the above applies, but can run xp64?

Last edited:
Any system that came with Windows 7 preinstalled can run XP. You can look for the last ones released. Some computers that came with Windows 8 could also run XP but not all of them. For Win8 machines the drivers are not from the manufacturer you have to look them up yourself or use driverpack.

that's why i was looking at sandy bridge systems, it seemed the last xp capable machines as far as i could detect.

but not any i'd say.
the xps l502x came with 7 home premium or 8.1 preinstalled, but i'm not having luck with that.

that said, it runs xp, but without usb, and fairly sluggish due to no video drivers yet.

however, i found something strange,
when the system is running inserting a usb stick leads to nothing happening.
but, if i enter a usb stick in the only 2.0 port when starting up, it will be recognized installed and disabled with 'something wrong'. if i then restart again, it will be recognized and available for use. safe remove does not work. the usb3 renesas driver looks installed, and has the same twice boot to recognize and use the same usb stick.
now the video drivers are there, the system is much more sweet to handle.
but still, no normal usb, so for me not usable.

Last edited:
now, i tried xp64 again, only working chipset driver install did go forward much quicker (minutes instead of an hour). but in the end usb worked equally poor.

and here the hd3000 driver fails, i used winxp_145111 on 32 bit xp and tried that, it stated i did not meet the minimum requirements for xp64 (xp compatible install didn't help), winxp64_145111 stated 'not validated for the computer' and the R294607 from dell does install, but tosses up a few errors starting with 'the procedure entry point CreateEventExa could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll'
so in the end the hd gpu is recognised, but it does not work
something is missing, that's as far as i got.

but actually i wanted to see if the usb could get working under x64, since it does work in 7 x64,10 and bios.

I'm using XP 64 myself with an AMD FX motherboard and USB 3.0 work fine in both XP 64 and Windows 64 dual booting. In my case my motherboard supports Windows XP, 7 and 8.1 both 32 and 64 bit versions. The motherboard I'm using is from 2015. It's the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P. The USB 3.0 connector uses a separate VIA diver.

Have you tried Driverpack ? It's usually very good with intel drivers and installs the correct ones.

that is very impressive, having xp work out on a 2015 machine, now i really feel like i'm not smart enough..
i would almost ask you the specifc parts so i can copy your setup, if only in xp and xp64, but i was hoping to make a small form factor system, that's why i came up with a laptop...so unless you have a itx or maybe m-atx, i think i'll pass :)

driverpack did have a w7 x64 driver for the gpu, but it would not install on xp64. and i wouldn't know what i'm missing to make it work.
as for the xeon e3-1200 and other related hm67 chipset things driverpack had, like usb controller, audio, it made no difference with my last try...still something is very slow in usb detection and release.
may have to accept that gigabyte setup after all.

Last edited:
I forgot to specify I have XP 64 and Windows 7 64 dual booting here.

In the USB section of driverpack did it offer various options ? Sometimes there's more than one driver available for a device and it lets you choose.

My specs:
CPU Type OctalCore AMD FX-8320E, 3215 MHz (16 x 201)

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

Motherboard Chipset AMD 970, AMD K15

System Memory 8160 MB (DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM3: G Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8-4GBXM 4 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz) (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz)
DIMM4: G Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8-4GBXM 4 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz) (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz)

Display: ATI Radeon 4850 512MB GDDR3 256bit

Audio: a PCI Auzentech X-Raider 7.1 - It's a C-Media 8738 audio processor

BIOS Type AMI (06/01/2015)

impressive setup, although performance wise it would be equal to my laptop, it is 4 years younger.
and that's a big difference in wear.
as i discovered i really do not need all that power, probably any dual core with a simple dedicated gpu will do.
so i've decided to bin the unwilling laptop and go looking for a small desktop.
thanks for all your input, it is an eyeopener in possibilities.

YUP, that's the official winxp64_145111 as i posted before it was the first thing i tried since the 32bit version worked.

tried that too without success, but since i couldn't get usb going on that specific laptop, i have abandoned the idea,
i'm going to look for an amd powered sff system up until 2015.

Last edited:
Now you made me want to go on Ebay and search for Acer V5-131 since the fan on my Thinkpad x120e is dying.

Apparently it is possible to install XP on Sandy Bridge depending on the hardware vendor.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=1109553#p1109553

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/h61-motherboard-and-sandy-bridge-with-windows-xp-sp3.2157074/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ows-xp-or-windows-2000.3776061/#post-22787498

Best advice I can offer is for whatever model you plan to buy check the vendor's website for XP drivers.

This is your fastest option if you must have socket LGA 2011 (Sandy bridge). Either in XP 32 or 64

There is no game or software that you can’t run on this. Goes really nicely with 32GB and a nice Asus GTX 980Ti

Z9PE-D8 WS

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/z9pe-d8 ws/helpdesk_download/

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/z9pe-d8 ws/helpdesk_manual/

All drivers are available on the web and work. I also know this works happily with 12 cores, but I believe with correct CPU V3 can go up to 16 (of course that is with 2 CPU’s)

Finally, there is no such thing as USB 3 for Windows XP from intel. It must be third party. Always remember that you may have to resort to a add in card on anything you go for if it is using an intel chipset. This is another reason I recommended the Asus above, it uses ASMedia ASM104 for XP

This is your fastest option if you must have socket LGA 2011 (Sandy bridge). Either in XP 32 or 64

There is no game or software that you can’t run on this. Goes really nicely with 32GB and a nice Asus GTX 980Ti

This graphics card can work in Windows XP?? Does one just use the Vista Drivers?

This graphics card can work in Windows XP?? Does one just use the Vista Drivers?

Yes I have dealt with this many times.

This question so often comes up that I will make sure the answer is easy to find.

The best, fastest and most up to date graphics card you can buy that will run on XP is the

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 TI

It being able to run most modern games easily.

Drivers being here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qyr8mAR1b4FtchM4r3IV9TWXAx4xd6b_

This being the kind gentleman that did all the work developing the drivers for XP aficionados.

This being another gentleman that provided help and support.

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

Yes I have dealt with this many times.

This question so often comes up that I will make sure the answer is easy to find.

The best, fastest and most up to date graphics card you can buy that will run on XP is the

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 TI

It being able to run most modern games easily.

Drivers being here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qyr8mAR1b4FtchM4r3IV9TWXAx4xd6b_

This being the kind gentleman that did all the work developing the drivers for XP aficionados.

This being another gentleman that provided help and support.

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

That's a big WOW! I had no idea. I thought I had one of the latest graphics cards I could find, but if I could get 6GB graphics fanless factor, that'd be super cool and it would be an improvement over what I'm working with! I'll have to take a look!

all those wild gpus from secpar and madeleine takam gave me inspiration, i've wanted displayport and/or hdmi out and now i've got both....
had a hd7850 lying around and although it is clearly over the top for an xp machine that has a hard time getting it out of idle, it is actually more energy efficient than the gt610 that doesn't need a power connector but is already straining itself on the desktop.

If there is ever any driver you don't have, just go under the driver info and copy that huge 'pci\whatever' line into google and you'll find a driver that works. I've used this on everything from xp to windows server and it works every time.

Also, if you want the ultimate xp setup, just find an i7-2600k or an hp z420. I've got xp fully running on both of these. :)

Back