URLmon registering and audio driver probs - are they connected?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by ulrichburke, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ulrichburke

ulrichburke

Dear Anyone.

Yup, still on XP because of disability problems, would cost a fortune to upgrade my software to 10. Anyway.

My music writing software, Quick Score Elite Level 2, suddenly came up with 'Can't Find Audio Out'. So I thought I'd start trying to fix the prob. by reinstalling the motherboard - Foxconn 2ADA - sound software. (I'd scanned for viruses using Malwarebytes before doing the download.) Downloaded the software, decided to create a restore point incase I boll - er - mucked things up(!), went to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and got 'Can't Find Entry Point in URLmon.DLL'.

So I did a REGsvr32 on Urlmon.dll and got told it had been re-registered successfully. Went back to System Tools and clicked on Restore Points but didn't get the proper window, just a totally empty white window with a blue frame, no program or options or anything. Thought that would be because I hadn't restarted the PC after re-registering URLmon, so I restarted.

And when I went back to System Tools, I got the 'Can't Find Entry Point in URLmon DLL' error AGAIN!

So I registered it again, got told it had registered successfully again, clicked on system tools/restore points and just got the fake window, as above, again. Restarted the computer (again!) and System Tools went back to 'Can't Find Entry Point!'

Why isn't URLmon STAYING re-registered!?! I don't want to re-install the sound software without a rollback point incase something goes wrong and I don't understand why System Tools is just coming up as a pale empty window even WITH URLmon re-registered. I've tried the REGsvr32 /i switch but that hasn't helped. It registers when you're IN windows, the moment you restart it loses its registration, every time.

Any ideas anyone?

Yours hopefully

Chris.

ulrichburke, Nov 23, 2020
Ask a Question