Unresponsive keyboard and mouse please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Jrod, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jrod

Jrod

Ok so it all started when I download uninstaller pro to remove a unwanted application. All worked fine until I allowed uninstaller pro to assist with my registry. It was supposed to update or something don't really remember what it said.(which I'm very upset with myself for not paying closer attention like I should) anyways when it prompted me to restart my PC I did and when It came back to the login in screen my keyboard was unresponsive. However my mouse was accessible so I try'ed for a system restore (another big mistake) after the restore finish and returned to the welcome screen both my mouse and keyboard were unresponsive. Oddly however my keyboard works just before windows login screen pops up, I have try'ed everything I can think of to fix this issue such as; unplugging both and plugging back in, restart after restart, changing both mouse and keyboard with new ones, and even tapping f8 to pull up restore still no luck I have no restore Cd so i can't even try that option Please if anyone can offer any advice to this issue It is very much appreciated thank you.

My PC: 2005 Compaq Presario:OS Windows Xp Media center edition
    Keyboard: Ps2 and USB model (ps2 is my everyday keyboard. USB is new model I purchased)
    Mouse: USB and ps2 (other way around with mouse USB is my everyday mouse and ps2 mouse was purchased as replacement)

Jrod, Jun 3, 2013
  2. Jrod

Elizabeth23

I will give you instructions to burn a cd with Hiren's boot cd, (from a working pc)

and then you can run recovery console, chkdsk c: /r

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra
    Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD which you can download from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The ZIP file is large, so the download will probably take a little while to complete bit it is worth it. Then unzip the download to extract the Hirens.BootCD.ISO file that will be used to create your new bootable CD.

Creating a bootable CD from a .ISO file is not the same as just copying the .ISO file to a blank CD. You have to use software that understands how to burn a .ISO file to a CD to create a bootable CD.

In the Hiren's ZIP file are the BurnToCD.cmd file that you can double click to launch it, but I have never used it and prefer to use ImgBurn.

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

http://www.imgburn.com/

When installing ImgBurn, DO NOT install anything from UniBlue or the Ask toolbar (never install the ASK toolbar for anything).

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.

These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options. Choose the Mini XP option. Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

One way to check the disk for errors is to open My Computer and right click your afflicted drive and choose Properties, Tools, Error-checking, Check Now... put a check mark in both the boxes and then Start.

Sometimes that doesn't work, so you can also click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK to open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command (assuming XP is installed on your C drive)

chkdsk c: /r

This disk checking can take a long time (perhaps several to many hours) depending on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what the disk checking finds to do.
    Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.

Depending on the the speed of your system, the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what chkdsk finds to do, it may take a long time for chkdsk with error correction to complete (several to many hours) or it may appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something so don't interrupt it. It will finish eventually one way or the other. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress. It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You may have to run the chkdsk c: /r more than once.

there are other instructions if you have no cd drive, that uses a usb

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2013
  3. Jrod

Jrod

thank you so much for the respond i've been pulling my hairout trying to figure this out i notice that you mentioned "other instructions" for "no cd drive" I'm curious as of what might those be?

Jrod, Jun 3, 2013
  4. Jrod

Jrod

I have a question will this restore cause me to lose everything?

Jrod, Jun 3, 2013
  5. Jrod

Elizabeth23

you are not restoring, Hiren's is a boot cd that lets you access your drive it is not an operating system it is a tool.

here are hiren's for a usb flash drive it is only useful if your pc has the capability of being able to have usb as an option in the boot sequence.

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra:
    Anywho, to make a Hiren's boot CD, do this:

I am going to recommend you use Hiren's boot CD (it will also go on a USB drive).

This is good for you because it has many more tools on it that on the XP Recovery Console CD, does not care about your Administrator passwords and you will not have to futz around in your BIOS if any afflicted system has SATA drives - Hiren's can deal with that.

You will have a whole bunch of cool tools that you don't have in the XP Recovery Console... a registry editor, password resetter, and a desktop that looks like Windows XP so you will feel comfortable maneuvering.

You can also easily copy your personal data (documents, images, music.) to an external drive.

From a working system, first download Hiren's Boot CD from here (it is a substantial download but worth it):

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ (look near the bottom of the page, do not click on any ads).
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/burning/
    Instructions

Unzip the Hiren's to some folder where you can find it. There is a Hiren's.BootCD..iso in there that you are going to need next.

Hiren's has instructions to make a bootable USB that you can use, but it requires you to first burn the .iso to a CD and some other steps, so I suggest another way...

Download RUFUS 1.20 from here (read some stuff on the page so you can know more about it):

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

I will caution you to be careful that you don't accidentally format any of your hard drives - be sure your USB stick is in and know what the drive letter is! This part always makes me a little nervous, so be careful.

Launch RUFUS and all the defaults should be okay, for the Device, choose your USB drive letter, Quick format, FAT32, label it if you want to and in the Format options box, click the little icon that looks like a CD and a window will open. Navigate that dialogue to point to the folder that contains the Hiren's.BootCD.15.iso that you unzipped earlier and the box should change to say ISO image (RUFUS understands the Hiren's ISO file).

Double check you have the right Device selected in the top (NOT you HDD) Click Start, acknowledge the warning and let it finish (it will take a little while) as it copies the files. The Hiren's ISO is also good size.

When RUFUS is done, it will say 'DONE' in the bottom.

Put the USB stick in the afflicted machine and reset/reboot and press whatever key you need to press to get to a boot menu where you can select the USB as the first boot device (that is F11 for me). If you don't see a boot menu choice, you will have to adjust your BIOS to boot from the USB first instead of the HDD.

When the Hiren's menu comes up, choose the Mini XP Mode and it will start loading (slowly from a USB drive) and eventually you should see a Windowsy looking desktop. You should recognize that part and feel comfortable, but it is not your desktop - it is the Hiren's desktop!

Remember: You did not boot on your hard disk - you booted into the Hiren's desktop

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
    Hiren’s for flash drive

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2013
  6. Jrod

Jrod

Ok thank you very much...so let me be clear. About burning the image file am I burning
    the Hirens.BootCD.ISO or the BurnToCD.cmd file or...?

Jrod, Jun 4, 2013
  7. Jrod

Elizabeth23

hiren's boot cd. iso as below

Filename: Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip
    Filesize: 592.5 MB (621283886 bytes)
    ISO MD5: 7EFC81ADBBD551D56F6021C439C6837C this one
    ZIP MD5: D342BBD6BF7554ABA24A376E41675DBF

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Elizabeth23, Jun 4, 2013
  8. Jrod

Elizabeth23

when you enter hiren's desktop you want to check device manager on your c drive and see if any warnings are there and what they are, you might have deleted something that we can restore.

Elizabeth23, Jun 4, 2013
  9. Jrod

Elizabeth23

one other thing hiren's also has a registry restore tool.

Elizabeth23, Jun 4, 2013
Ask a Question