uninstalling xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Neil1011, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Neil1011

Neil1011

My Packard Bell laptop suddenly filled the screen with 99 when I switched it on. No amount of effort on my part would cause it to open on XP si I decided to reinstall XP Professional. I went all the way through the installation process up to part where I had to install the 25 digit code. That went in and was accepted. I had to stop the installation process at that point (it was 2a.m.) and restarted the laptop the following day. I reinserted the CD and the process soon caught up to the 'code' entry again. I typed in the same code but the machine rejected it. How can I sort this please?

Would it be better to delete XP from the laptopand start again? If so how do I break into the installation process to uninstall XP please? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Neil1011, Feb 18, 2014
  2. Neil1011

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 18, 2014
  3. Neil1011

Neil1011

Elizabeth23.... thank you for very prompt response. As mentioned this is a spare laptop that I intended to use at the caravan simply for connecting to the internet and doing some word processing. When I switched it on the first time in ages the black screen simply had the text 99 filling it up. I left it some time but nothing changed. Several attempts at switching off and on made no difference so I inserted a Windows XP Pro disc I have and it started the installation process. It got to the point of typing in the id code which was correct and accepted and then foolishly I deecided to go to bed, it was 2 a.m. The machine was switched off. When I switched on the following day I was asked to reinsert the cd and the installation process recommenced but when I was asked to put in the id code it refused to recognise it..... and I can't go any further. I think I need to uninstall and start again. Is there a way round it please?

I thank you for the link you sent, I am a techno thicky and find that link a bit comp[licated but will endeavour to work through it. Is there a way of going into 'safe mode' or even DOS if that would assist in removing XP pro and starting again?

Thank you for your assistance.... Neil

Neil1011, Feb 20, 2014
  4. Neil1011

Elizabeth23

First shut down machine with the power button, then turn on pc and immediately start tapping F2, to get to the BIOS, select Boot Sequence and change the order to boot from cd first.

PACKARD BELL

from HERE

If you have an ac/adaptor, it is better to use this than to rely on the battery for setup!!!

this should clear the way to insert cd and begin again, let me know.

Elizabeth23, Feb 20, 2014
  5. Neil1011

Neil1011

Elizabeth thanks for the info. I switched the machine on and noticed I could open XP or Windows so I hit windows. I then got page after page of computer jargon until eventually it told me the machine was restarting. When it restarted it opened up XP Home (not Pro) it turns out it was Home that had been initially installed on the machine not Pro. I then had to reddo the internet settings etc which are now OK. I decided to install Open Ofice instead of Microsoft Office, which again wnet in OK. However, on opening up Windows Explorer I find a list of prgrammes, including Microsoft Office, which I have not installed. Weirdly these do not show up on the Windows uninstall list so I can not uninstall them. Not sure what has gone on but I would like to uninstall the unused programmes (eg MS Office) to free up memory etc as I keep getting messages saying cirtual memory is low. What have I done, please?

Neil1011, Feb 25, 2014
  6. Neil1011

Elizabeth23

one main problem, you cannot install pro if home was originally on it.

to uninstall, do a search in regedit for what program you want off.

go to start, run, type in regedit.

in regedit, go to Edit, find, type in name such as MicrosoftOffice, then click find next, delete each highlighted entry.

Back up your registry first as a precaution.

regedit mostly does not use spaces, capital letters are used to separate each word.

==========

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102-522339/install-xp-professional-over-home-edition/

read above.

====================

one more note, if you have windows and xp home as boot options, then you did not do a clean install, you installed pro over home, and there will most likely be several issues with this mainly being the double boot option with only one option that works.

Elizabeth23, Feb 26, 2014
  7. Neil1011

Neil1011

Elizabeth thank you for that. I'll give that a try. Many thanks for your advice.

Neil1011, Feb 26, 2014
  8. Neil1011

Elizabeth23

okay, will check back

Elizabeth23, Feb 26, 2014
Ask a Question