Unable to download Portable Update (Portup)

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Janice, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

Janice, Oct 8, 2019
  2. Janice

j896

Not just you. I get the same thing

j896, Oct 8, 2019
  3. Janice

Janice

Thank you. Just in case you are wondering why, I addressed this to Elizabeth because she is the one who introduced me to Portup :) and like her, I am also a great believer of it. Any one else please feel free to reply.

Portup has been a fantastic support for XP users.

Janice, Oct 8, 2019
  4. Janice

Elizabeth23

nope, I cannot get there either and to clear it says open IIs manager, I do not have that program installed,

well I went to a lifewire page on how to fix 404 errors, and 403.14 forbidden errors, but none of the solutions worked, the final tip is to just wait and try tomorrow, however, I do not need to download again as I have it saved to a flash drive and can just run portup.exe from the flash drive anytime I want to use it. have to wait and see if the site comes back up.

Elizabeth23, Oct 8, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  5. Janice

Janice

I have been unlucky. I too saved it to a flash drive but for some reason unknown to me, all files have disappeared, leaving empty folders behind :mad: Now we can only hope things will come right soon.

Janice, Oct 8, 2019
  6. Janice

Elizabeth23

hmm, do not know why that would happen, did you run the original from a flash drive or from the pc?

Elizabeth23, Oct 9, 2019
  7. Janice

Janice

From the PC and I copied it to the flash drive later.

Janice, Oct 9, 2019
  8. Janice

Elizabeth23

does not seem likely but that may be why the folders were empty, I have used this same flash drive through at least 4 fresh installs, and the folders are always there and filled. I have even copied the flash drive to another flash drive and the folders stayed filled, hmm, when you copied to the flash drive were the folders filled then?

Elizabeth23, Oct 9, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  9. Janice

Elizabeth23

reply 2:

https://alternativeto.net/software/portable-update/

according to above it has been discontinued, However, I have version 2.5.1 in a folder on my onedrive:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!834&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

you can download it from there or you can go to MAJOR GEEKS and download the same version, but it does not list xp as being supported

I do not know if it will still work even though it says discontinued, you can try it and this time download to a flashdrive and run from the flash drive, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 9, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  10. Janice

ClippyBeer

Those errors are server-side errors and nothing to do with your configuration. 404 means it couldn't find the referenced link(s) or resources. Normally when you go to any website it defaults to loading index.htm or index.php which will access the website contents. If it can't find those two files it will try to list the main directory which requires permission - the author has disabled this permission resulting in 403.x error.

IIS (Internet Information Services) is the Microsoft Web Server service running on that site similar to Apache on Linux. Again, that is on the server side, not on the client side which is why you couldn't fix those errors.

The symptoms point to a problem with the site.

1) Website crashed recently and files got corrupted/deleted.
    2) Site got hacked.
    3) The more likely scenario and what I am sadly seeing more of on legacy websites - the author has abandoned the project (last update was 2017).

Here is a snapshot from web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190527072024/http://www.portableupdate.com/default.aspx

You can't download it from there but it lists version 2.5.1 as being compatible with XP SP3 despite Major Geeks claim of only being compatible with Vista and higher.

ClippyBeer, Oct 9, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  11. Janice

ClippyBeer

Even his Twitter page hasn't been updated since 2015.:(

ClippyBeer, Oct 9, 2019
  12. Janice

Janice

Yes they were! :rolleyes:

Janice, Oct 9, 2019
  13. Janice

Janice

Hi Elizabeth. All is not lost :) I downloaded Portup from your One Drive and it worked flawlessly. Obviously it is independent of the web site. There were only few updates that I needed and I installed them. I searched a second time and the search results window said "There are 333 updates (already installed or not) to download for future use". So I went ahead and downloaded all, including SP3! Now there are 366 updates altogether in the cache folder 1.70GB

Important question. Even if (when) the update servers are eventually shut down, will I be able to use Portup (with this cache folder) to update any new installation or a re installation of XP?

Thank you very much for giving me portup from your One Drive :):)

Janice, Oct 10, 2019
  14. Janice

Janice

Quite so. It worked on my XP as if it was made for XP. The editor of that Major Geeks page must be an anti XP A*^ H^&$ :) You get them everywhere, in all computer web sites and forums :eek:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Janice, Oct 11, 2019
  15. Janice

Elizabeth23

janice, I have used portup offline so after the updates are in the cache folder, you do not need the update site, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 11, 2019
    Janice likes this.
Ask a Question