Unable to connect to web

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by sir jim, Feb 12, 2015.

1. sir jim

sir jim

Hello.

Hope that someone out there can help. I would class my self as semi computer literate. But i am getting annoyed by something that i know is simple but for some reason i can not get my head around it.

I was recently given an old PC. Circa 2002ish. It is running xp. I am wanting to give it to my grandad so he can surf the web. So not wanting to pay for any upgrades.

I am trying to connect it to the web but for some reason unable to do so. I have set the connection up through Ethernet broadband with a sky broadband router.. The connection says it is connected at a speed of 400.00 Mbps. But no packets have been received or sent. I pinged using command prompt and received 4 fails. I am able to connect through the router with my lap top on WiFi.

I have tried a few things but still no luck.

I am wondering if it is a software or hardware problem for starters and if the router has anything to do with it.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you james

sir jim, Feb 12, 2015
  2. sir jim

Jakob99

Upgrading the internet drivers should fix the problem. Try this driver http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-108424-1 it is the driver that's included with windows 7 and should fix the problem. If you have a windows vista that has this issues then this should fix that too. Just download it to a usb from a computer with internet and install it to the one with internet.

Jakob99, Feb 12, 2015
  3. sir jim

Jakob99

Put in here due to 10 minute editing rule. I just reread it and saw that you said the computer was saying it was connected but it's not connecting to the internet. You could experiment with an ethernet cable which works like a desktop computer does by being connected to the router on one end with the other being connected to the laptop and see if that works(along with the driver upgrade). If it doesn't work then it means every internet site known to man is down(then how am I posting this is way beyond me unless computers support 3g and 4g and that it kicks in automatically and you never know it) or your router just doesn't support XP period. Also is it a desktop or a laptop? I don't believe that was said unless I missed that.

Jakob99, Feb 12, 2015
  4. sir jim

Elizabeth23

go to control panel, network connections, right click on lan connection, and choose repair, pay attention to what it is doing and let me know if it fails to repair and at what step.

Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2015
Ask a Question