Unable to connect to the internet after clean install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

I clean installed an XP OS that I have not used before. I am unable to set up the internet connection. Actually I have forgotten how to do this. 'Network Connections' is missing from the Start Menu. I opened the Network Setup Wizard. It tells me to install network cards, cables, modems and device drivers. In Device Manager, under Other Devices, the following have yellow question marks:

Audio device on high definition audio bus
    Ethernet controller
    SM bus controller
    Unknown device
    USB WLAN
    Video controller (VGA compatible)

I tried right click and install drivers but no drivers were installed. All other items in Device Manager have drivers that are working. My internet connection is to a wireless modem provided by the ISP.

Janice, Aug 27, 2019
  2. Janice

ClippyBeer

Network connections is missing because XP does not detect any networking devices (both your ethernet and wireless show up as question marks in device manager). Please provide us with the exact model number of your PC so we can help you locate XP drivers if available.

ClippyBeer, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Janice

Janice

Asus P5LD2

Janice, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Janice

Elizabeth23

there are several threads in this forum where I have given instructions on how to find missing drivers, please do a search so that you can follow the directions

Elizabeth23, Aug 27, 2019
  5. Janice

ClippyBeer

Asus P5LD2 appears to be the model number for a motherboard made by ASUS.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5LD2/overview/

That means this is a custom-built PC (I haven't done that in years). You can download some of the drivers from their website (use the drop-down menu to select your OS):

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5LD2/HelpDesk_Download/

There doesn't appear to be on-board video or WIFI so you will have to determine the make/model of the video and WIFI to determine where to source drivers for those.

ClippyBeer, Aug 28, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  6. Janice

Janice

Thank you for the links. The major problem was with the wireless adapter. things are ok now.

Janice, Aug 28, 2019
  7. Janice

Dyehard

The fact that the brand spanking newfangled accessories and peripherals (modems, routers, printers, scanners and nodes) don´t have XP/Vista drivers can be a pain and will be more so as time goes on. My modem/router/, printer & scanner are at least 5 years old so no issues with my 2 XP computers. Being a tech luddite can be hard work.

Dyehard, Aug 28, 2019
  8. Janice

Janice

Something I did not expect happened. Microsoft Update gave me all the missing updates right up to April 2014. Received about 80 missing updates in a very short time. Looks good because Portup now shows only a few updates that I did not install, Such as Power shell and End of support notification. They even sent me an Update for my old Phillips Monitor! real surprise :D

Janice, Aug 31, 2019
  9. Janice

Dyehard

Wonder how much longer even the stale XP updates on the Microsoft Update site will be available? Rumours of future ¨pay as you go¨ for security updates for MS O/Ss, increasing popularity of Linux and other O/Ss, disgust with the force fed w10 updates, XP hangers on, must be affecting Redmond's bottom line.

Dyehard, Aug 31, 2019
    Janice and cartpusher54 like this.
  10. Janice

Elizabeth23

I have portup and a list of every update on my pc, if I reinstall, I can use portup and then compare to my list and add any from either my cache of updates or download from the update catalog, :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 1, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  11. Janice

Janice

How do I make this list?
    Do you mean opening the cache folder and double click on an update to install?

Janice, Sep 1, 2019
  12. Janice

Elizabeth23

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

yes, I downloaded all the updates that portup did not download (all of .net for example) and added them to the cache, now I do a search/install, then I do it again after a restart/shutdown and install any more that are selected, after that I compare the lists and manually add any needed update to bring it up to date

Elizabeth23, Sep 2, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  13. Janice

Janice

I did the POSReady trick and got a further 145 updates from Microsoft Update Severs, right up to the last updates in April 2019. So, although there are no more updates, the update servers have not been shut down so far. I don't think they ever were but false information has been going around in many other forums as well, that they are shut down. Probably the work of the anti XP trash.

Janice, Sep 4, 2019
  14. Janice

Dyehard

Old O/Ss don't die ... they just fade away.
    Seems like yesterday I was singing the praises of w95 after the spartan GUIs of the w3 series which were head over heels more glamorous than the 6.22 DOS SHELL.

Dyehard, Sep 4, 2019
    Janice likes this.
Ask a Question