two issues would love help

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by hectorshouse, Jul 24, 2016.

1. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

Hi , my first post but in a tad of bother. I had a video on my pc , running windows xp 2002 pack 3.
    Of a now departed dog , yesterday i tried to open it and it told me it could not open it due to a "shortcut" , two options ,one of which did nothing and then the other option pinged it off my desktop , and i can not find it anywhere ? i looked in my rubbish bin but nothing , any ideas where i can locate it .
    That led me to the obvious system restore , but any date i choose , even a month ago it says restoration incomplete , nothing on your computer has changed , i have been through loads of dates, checked its running but can not get it to go back...wife very grumpy:( ...any ideas how to get the video back please ...:)

hectorshouse, Jul 24, 2016
  2. hectorshouse

Elizabeth23

if the shortcut was invalid, it means the picture was not there anymore or the name of the picture had been changed, that would give an invalid location and thus an invalid shortcut. the other option most likely asked if you wished to remove the shortcut and if you clicked yes that would remove the shortcut.

==============

your system restore is corrupted, however data is not affected by restores so it would not replace a photo or remove a photo.

================

system restore should complete if you used it in safe mode, since the normal mode is corrupted, but as stated above this will not bring your photo back.You should turn off system restore, reboot and then turn on sytem restore to purge all points.

==========

you can do a search for this photo if you have the name, and/or do a search for all .jpeg (or whatever extension was used on your photo), make sure you have unhidden all folders , and will show all extensions, do this through folder options, ]

let me know how you get on so far.

Elizabeth23, Jul 24, 2016
  3. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

Hi ..ty it was a video not a photograph...can you explain how i go to safe mode please..ty

4. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

The video was on my desktop ..downloaded with vlc media...i tried to open it and it said something like it refers to a shortcut do i wish to delete it ...i said no but nothing happened , so i had to click yes thinking it would open...but it flew off the screen

5. hectorshouse

Elizabeth23

Safe Mode, reboot computer, and then immediately start tapping F8, this will get the advanced menu and you can then get to safe mode, NOTE: any restore done from safe mode will not give you the option to undo restore

video: do a search for video on your pc as it may be in a different folder if it is not in the video folder of your documents. and the shortcut issue is the same for video or photo.

Elizabeth23, Jul 24, 2016
  6. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

i have looked everywhere , driving me nuts

hectorshouse, Jul 25, 2016
  7. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

hi...i pressed repeatedly f8 during start up , it does nothing ..anyone got any ideas please

8. hectorshouse

eatup

Assuming u did a Windows search, have u tried a cmd search from the C:\ root directory?

cd c:\

C:>dir *partoffilename* /s /a

Example: video file was thisismyvidfile.mp4

Then the cmd search would be:

cd c:\

c:>dir *myvid* /s /a

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    eatup, Jul 25, 2016
  9. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

ty ..it was a vlc media file ..really gutted....my only choice was to click yes and it pinged up and off the screen....can you help by explaining the above...it must have gone somewhere as it is not in recycle bin or documents and definitely said something about can not be opened as it refers to a shortcut

10. hectorshouse

eatup

click the start button -> run -> enter cmd to start the DOS prompt. Then enter the commands in the post above.

if you installed XP on a drive other than c:, say d: then change C: to D: in the commands listed in above post...

And if this search doesn't show anything meaningful, then the file was probably already deleted with the shortcut to it left behind...

eatup, Jul 25, 2016
  11. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

how do i run the search as i get to the part enter the commands ty

12. hectorshouse

eatup

what was the name of your vid file? what does it say to the left of the blinking cursor?

eatup, Jul 25, 2016
  13. hectorshouse

eatup

^ Exact name not required. Do you remember a part of the file name?

eatup, Jul 25, 2016
  14. hectorshouse

Elizabeth23

you must tap F8 as soon as you press the start button on your pc, if you wait too late you will have to restart and do it again.

Elizabeth23, Jul 26, 2016
  15. hectorshouse

hectorshouse

hi , i can tap f8 as much and as hard a i like but nothing happens ...my pc did come from a refurb shop though ...i notice when i start it up it say select tab for bios ...but f8 does not give any options ...the file was a vlc media file , all others sent off seem to have gone to my documents , but not this one....i need the police lol they would find it lol

hectorshouse, Jul 27, 2016
  16. hectorshouse

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 27, 2016
  17. hectorshouse

cornemuse

Maybe the F8 key is bad, , , ,

-c-

(Not bein' a wise guy)

cornemuse, Jul 28, 2016
Ask a Question