Two Drives Two Different Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Moonsky, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Moonsky

Moonsky

Hello Forum, I have Windows XP and Linux Mint set up as a dual boot configuration on a mechanical drive. On a separate SSD drive, I have Windows 7. I can swap data and power cables between drives to choose which OS I want. If I chose to have both drives connected to my motherboard and boot my PC, will this work and get the option to choose which drive to select? Regards to all, Moonsky.

Moonsky, Sep 25, 2021
  2. Moonsky

red Guest

hi
    xp will be main boot drive then once other drive connected say with 7 will come up on screen for you to choose ,same can be done if use 1 big drive and install os in order of need xp being 1st not used linux so cannot comment

long live xp:)

red, Sep 26, 2021
  3. Moonsky

Mr Siamese Cat

As you have explained clearly you have 2 separate physical hard drives, but at the moment you are swapping the cables over.

You do not need to do this; And you can connect both hard drives to the motherboard then enter the bios on boot up by pressing F1 or ‘delete’ or whatever option you are given in your bios screen and choose which hard drive to boot from under boot options. That will then be your boot drive until you change it back in the bios if you choose.

The hard drive you boot from will be your operating system, the other drive will show up as a collection of files, that do not effect the operating system on your boot disk. You will still maintain the functionality of your dual boot system on the single hard drive that has Windows XP and Linux Mint on, with the added advantage that you will be able to access these files when you choose to boot from the physical Windows 7 drive.

Hope this helps.

Mr Siamese Cat, Sep 26, 2021
  4. Moonsky

Moonsky

Many thanks for your prompt reply and guidance Mr Siamese Cat, regards.

Moonsky, Sep 26, 2021
  5. Moonsky

Moonsky

Thank you long live xp for your reply, regards.

Moonsky, Sep 26, 2021
Ask a Question