Tweak a DELL PC BIOS - amazing

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Aunty Jack, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Aunty Jack

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello from Aunty Jack,

As is my habit, I have gone back to my genuine XP Home setup after trying many OS's.
    Hmmm, seemed a little slow (well probably subjective anyway). Look at the BIOS settings and did a bit of, "search engines are your friend". The AGP Aperture on most old DELL machines is set at a default of 128 Mb. (you can find this setting under the memory tab).
    Having a standard (sub-standard really) Intel 82865G graphics chip on board it does not need 128 Mb set aside for it to give brilliant performance. Reduce the AGP Aperture RAM to 64 Mb. Restart and see the difference in general response. Loading times for programs, loading times for web site, etc. Amazing.

I tried to test the new setup to destruction (well, freeze anyway) with Microsoft Flight Simulator FS 2004 (very resource hungry indeed as my FS setup is about 8 Gb and most options set to medium or high). Perfect, smooth, good frame rates, all from a 3 Ghz processor and 1 Gb RAM.

If anyone uses an old DELL with the on board graphics chip set have a play with the AGP Aperture size by reducing it. I would not recommend taking the size down to 32 Mb though. 64 Mb seems perfect.

Good luck playing around.

Cheers from Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Jan 1, 2015
  2. Aunty Jack

Elizabeth23

Hi, Aunty Jack, Happy New Year!!

I have a dell dimension 3000 and a dell dimension 2400, on the 3000 I changed this setting but have not noticed any difference so far will stay with it a few days to see, this is the stuff listed in that section of the bios

Installed 2048MB DDR SDRAM
    System memory speed 400MHz
    System memory channel mode Dual
    AGP was 128 set to 64

82865G intel :)

will post back after further testing.

Elizabeth23, Jan 1, 2015
  3. Aunty Jack

PJAmerica

How did this work out for you Elizabeth? I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 6200 512MB PCI Graphics Card on mine and running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit on my Dell Dimension 3000. It's upgraded with 2GB RAM, 2 HDD (250GB & 160GB), 2 DVD Burners, 1 3.5 Floppy Hard Drive. I have my AGP Aperature Set to 256.

PJAmerica, Feb 21, 2015
  4. Aunty Jack

Elizabeth23

it has been okay not too much difference, but if you are on win 7 it is a different story.

you will have to test each setting on your pc and see which was best, Aunty Jack's test was for xp. :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 21, 2015
  5. Aunty Jack

PJAmerica

I know. I was just curious is all. Not sure what effect it would have if anything at all though.

PJAmerica, Feb 21, 2015
Ask a Question