The Death of Windows Xp??

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Garlotch, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Garlotch

Garlotch

When ever I type: windows xp into google or youtube, I find videos related to and titled: The end of windows xp. I find this to be total and utter b.s! Some people actually LIKE windows xp, and won't be changing to windows 8.1 any time soon! Or maybe you can't actually upgrade your o.s because of your hardware? Personally... my hardware is out of date, and I have no money to upgrade it. I cannot run windows vista on my pc, there are no drivers for my hardware... let alone RUN it on windows 8... I think i will be staying with windows xp for a while to come. ;)

Garlotch, Aug 3, 2014
  2. Garlotch

eatup

I'm running Windows XP on a brand spanking new machine bought 2 years ago (one of the last few machines to still have drivers for XP) and I'm loving it!

Windows 7 ~ I hate it!
    Windows 8.1 ~ I hate it even more!

I have valid licenses to all 3, currently have all 3 installed on my machine (multi-boot), and I'm spending 99.99% of my time on XP, can u believe it? 8.0 didn't work right away for me (manuf has 8.1 drivers, but I'm still waiting for them to sort out the bugs and in future 8.1 updates)! I use Windows 7 only to copy stuff to my external drive (USB 3.0 ports don't work for me in XP) and to upload files to OneDrive via IE11 (I've found stuff uploads incredibly fast only in IE and specifically the latest version).

If you want to know why I prefer XP over 7/8.1 that's easy. Stuff I'm running on XP easily run at >8x faster (not joking) in XP, specifically games and .NET applications!

If you have the same 3 OSes setup as mine, try out a few games. Note the fps and see the proof for yourself!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    eatup, Aug 4, 2014
  3. Garlotch

Jody Thornton

What I really miss about both Windows XP and Windows 2000 was the ability to utilize DirectSound with no emulation issues. DirectSound as an adstract layer has been removed from Windows Vista and above. So you can experience sound artifacts or issues.

I have older but capable hardware though (dual Xeon CPUs at 3.6 GHz) and Vista runs fine on it. I'd expect 7 or 8x to run better. I'm getting used to breadcrumbs on File Open/Save dialogs. Hated that at first, but now it has become handy.

I really did love Windows XP x64 Edition though. Supported my HP xw8200 Workstation perfectly.

Jody Thornton, Aug 4, 2014
  4. Garlotch

eatup

I recently logged onto Win 7 to upload some large files to OneDrive (I've been using XP all this time as stated above). Wow, the difference in system performance is like night and day. You never really appreciate XP until you've tried Linux (XP fonts and apps look 10x more beautiful than the best-looking Linux distro currently available) or until you've logged onto Windows 7 once in a while... *shudders*

Bill Gates = PC. When Gates left center stage and let other men run the show... Let's just say, as long as my hardware lasts and my banking site still supports my web browser, I will never buy another PC with Windows ever again, seeing the direction that "personal computing" took after Windows XP...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    eatup, Aug 19, 2014
  5. Garlotch

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    XP ain't dead yet hopefully.

Hello Eatup from Aunty Jack.

Yep, tried every flavour of Linux or as many as I could. No. 1 IMHO is LinuxMint. For just fun I like Puppy Linux 528. However, shortage of good software is the downer for Linux I think anyway. But, each to their own and what suits one may not suit the other. Two PC's here at home. The "800 pound gorilla" AMD 64 bit multi core with RAM coming out it's ears and top line video card, the lot. My wife uses that one. I use a ten year old Dell GX270 somewhat modified to improve CPU cooling (did see 70 deg, now see 48 deg as maximum, celcius not farenheit). Still love XP, it does what I want and I now have XP running in just on 200 Mb.

Anyway, welcome new member.

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Aug 29, 2014
  6. Garlotch

eatup

Hi Aunty,

As I've wrote in another post. Have you tried going back to XP after experimenting with all flavors of Linux? I could never go back to Linux now after having gone there and back again to XP. Esthetically speaking, XP to me is what Aero glass is to most Windows 7 lovers... I think that's where most of the licensing money for XP went --- towards the production of a very beautiful professional desktop and GUI!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    eatup, Sep 21, 2014
Ask a Question