Task scheduler not starting tasks

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by bern, Jan 2, 2014.

1. bern

bern

Hello,

I have a machine dedicated to run two tasks 6 days a week. For two years I had no problem but since a few weeks ago those tasks are not started by the Task Scheduler.

The task scheduler service is running and shows no error in the event viewer. I can start the tasks manually and they run without problem.

I did not make changes on this machine for months. I rebooted in hope it will fix something but no, problem not solved.

Someone has seen this problem before or would have an idea about how to troubleshoot this situation?

Thanks,
    Bernard

bern, Jan 2, 2014
  2. bern

Elizabeth23

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329769/en-us

Please read above and try the solution.

Also, what is your current antivirus?

and regardless of what it is , insure your system is clean:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

post back with results

Elizabeth23, Jan 3, 2014
  3. bern

bern

I did not find the really cause but while investigating the problem, I suddenly got a popup talking about not being able to find Firefox which is used by my task. So I recompiled the task and since then its back to work.

I hate this kind of situation where I am unable to find the really cause, mostly when it was working, but at least it is back to work.

Thanks Elizabeth23 for your links. I'll keep them handy in case they may help in the future.

bern, Jan 12, 2014
  4. bern

Elizabeth23

Malware likes to target task scheduler, search, system restore and a couple of other programs.

It is very important to run scans and update, a single antivirus program cannot watch everything.

so you need to run a malware and antispyware program as on demand scanners

Norton and McAfee have been known to through errors into Windows also, it is better to use MSE: or Avast.

great work on fixing your error!

Elizabeth23, Jan 13, 2014
Ask a Question