Synology NAS RS1221+ Review

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by secpar, Mar 19, 2021.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. secpar

secpar

I have purchased a Synology NAS RS1221+. This isn't directly related to the XP OS, so I am posting it here.

I've got a RAID 5 Ext4 filesystem configuration using 5x Seagate 8TB Drivers (ST8000NM0055). These drives are not explicitly listed as being supported in their compatibility list, but they were listed as compatible in an earlier iteration of their NAS devices. So, in this setup, I'm netting a total of 32TB (about 29 usable), with three extra bays to spare for later upgrades as intended (future will yield a set of 3x 16TB drives)... however, I am reconsidering doing 8x of these 8TB drives in a RAID6.

So far, since I've got this NAS on a 10gig LAN adapter and my Windows XP using a 10gig LAN adapter, it's functioning about as quickly as expected. Almost the same as if it were directly attached, I'd say. Still transferring files to it through SyncToy from my external USB 3.0 hard drive.

One of the minor headaches I've run into so far with this NAS is, somehow, and I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow this NAS managed to break and/or interrupt my router's DHCP function. I was using static IPs on the NAS and then later allocated them in my router's DHCP. I can only speculate that one of the packages I installed for the NAS caused this interruption to take place.

One of the 1gig NICs was set to DHCP and then back to being static without a gateway and my router was rebooted (before and after this) but now DHCP seems to be working proper again from the router. I had also stopped these packages on the NAS. I'm really not certain what has caused this. Maybe there are bugs in the Synology OS, or in one of the packages.

One of the things I'm not liking so far is the ability to grant "anonymous" access to shared directories from the NAS. I'd like for some things to be accessible without the need for a username or password. Perhaps I haven't figured that one out yet.

It's slow going on this setup, but I expect things to fly a little more quickly once all the backups get transferred from the USB external drive to the NAS. Then data organization and re-organization will take place.

One of the features of this NAS also is the ability to use two NVME SSDs as a "cache" for files being accessed, to improve rapid delivery of information. Basically, you access files that are on the disks, but the SSDs will load up that data locally (transfer from disk to SSD cache) so that access times can be minimized.

However, when using two NVME SSDs installed as apart of their expansion card (which has a 10GB RJ-45 LAN port on it), the Synology OS only seems to allow them to join in a "RAID 1" configuration. Really, Mirror? For two SSD NVMEs that are designed to be caches? SSDs have a finite life, but why mirror? The main drive for them is to be performance enhancement, but, whatever. From my perspective, it looks like the NVME SSDs are being treated as a throw-away piece for the purposes of performance gains but suddenly parity is important for these?

Maybe two NVME SSDs in a RAID 0 would bottleneck on the expansion card? In that case, wouldn't it be better to just allow for a JBOD configuration of these SSDs?

Installed packages, in some instances, seem to want to setup their own "shared folders" rather than allowing the administrator of the NAS choose existing directories or sub directories.

The WebGUI isn't exactly intuitive on some things, but is very usable. Using the web interface in Pale Moon v26.5 and works with no problems so far. I pretty well use that version of Pale Moon for all my local devices with a webgui, including a Dahua NVR.

Summary

Pros:
    - Rack mount form factor.
    - Ryzen 2.2 GHz quad-core, 4 GB DDR4 ECC.
    - Four 1Gb NICs.
    - Hardware not likely to be bogged down.
    - Some packages may offer option to select a NIC for services.
    - Decent variety of packages offered.
    - Expand storage.
    - Not very loud, with the ability to set a baseline fan speed. (CISCO Switch fans are louder than this unit).

Cons:
    - The HDD caddies are not tool less. For this price tag, one would expect a NICE convenient feature
    - SSD NVME slots not built into the device. Like, seriously? C'mon man.
    - 10GB LAN not built into the device.
    - NVME SSD cache cannot be set for RAID 0, but rather only RAID 1. Is the SSD used for something I am not thinking off, other than speeding up file access?
    - Power Supply unit is not exactly replaceable.
    - Rackmount form factor costs more, and offers less than say DS1821+ (which has a built in NVME slots).
    - No anonymous/unsecure access? (Maybe I'm missing something).
    - Storage expansion is limited to four additional disks over a single attached device. Lower than what Desktop Disk Station provides (which can expand to +10 disks over two attached devices)
    - Only one expansion PCIe slot. Would be nice to have more (maybe if even for just an optional card that had a graphics adapter and two USB ports for directly accessing the device).

Overall Score:
    7 out of 10
    -1 for arbitrary $400 higher price tag for rack mount form factor
    -1 for not having certain hardware built in (NVME slots and 10GB LAN)
    -1 for expansion limitation, which is lower than that of its desktop counterparts.

Conclusion:
    I am happy to have this, but I would not buy it again. I would only buy something that included NVME's built in and not merely added by an expansion card. The extra $400 for this, over a DS1821+ went into what, exactly?

secpar, Mar 19, 2021
  2. secpar

Samir

Did you have any problems accessing the web ui? I've tried Firefox esr 52 as well as chrome 45 and dsm 7 won't even get to the login screen. My older units with dsm 6 work fine. I've downloaded pale moon and will be trying that next.

Also, what 10Gb card are you using and what type of throughput are you seeing?

Oh, and to solve the anonymous access issue, go to the dsm control panel, user groups, and set read-write access for the guest account and enable it. :)

Samir, Apr 1, 2021
  3. secpar

secpar

I use Pale Moon version 26, the last official one for XP, for all of my locally attached webGUI accessible devices.

I notice with Firefox 52 that it seems to slow down and behave badly. This was especially true when I was using FF52 for facebook over a year ago.

Using Intel X540 card.

I will try as you have said for the guest account. I have heard from others that even with that account enabled without a password, users still have to type in a "username" so it isn't exactly anonymous. Also, I say that I haven't confirmed it for myself, but I will see what comes from it.

secpar, Apr 3, 2021
  4. secpar

Samir

Thank you! I've tried to get my hands on PM26 portable, but can't seem to find it. :( I'll even settle for PM25 portable if it's out there, but can't seem to find it.

I've noticed that too with FF52 once it has hogged up all the memory. Otherwise, speed-battle.com says its faster than almost anything else. I even find it faster than 64-bit browsers on my win 7 machine so I use it there too.

Gotcha, so you're not using SFP+ or DACs then. I'm surprised there's xp drivers for the 540 as it's still a pretty current card.

That's the way I set mine up for access without a login and it seems to work on dsm 6 and 7.

Samir, Apr 4, 2021
  5. secpar

secpar

The XP drivers for X540 were done as a patchwork project, where I made/frankensteined drivers work when they wouldn't ordinarily do so.

secpar, Apr 4, 2021
  6. secpar

Samir

Ah yes, I read that thread on the atto drivers, et al. :) Solid work!

Samir, Apr 4, 2021
Ask a Question