svchost trying to accept connections from microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by LMHmedchem, Jan 30, 2012.

1. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem

Hello,

I have zone alarm iss installed and have always had svchost set to ask. This means I get a popup when ever a process using svchost tries to connect to the net. Most of these occur at start-up and I am familiar with the IP addresses that are being connected to. There is periodically an attempt for an outgoing connection to an IP at port 123, which I have always taken to be a sync to the time server.

Today there was a string of attempts for an incoming connection from 65.55.21.24:123, meaning that IP and port were trying to connect to svchost, and not svchost trying to connect out. I refused the connection. Further, these refused connection attempts were not logged into the ISS log. Normally, every time I allow or block a connection attempt, the is logged into the log files.

Does anyone know why svchost would be asking to allow a connection from a microsoft IP? I have never seen a request to allow incoming accept to 0.0.0.135, which I allow to act as a server.

LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem, Jan 30, 2012
  2. LMHmedchem

secpar

Port 123 is National Time Protocol. Your computer may have just been trying to get the time, per the settings in your "Date and Time" properties.

10 year late reply, but, here it is.

secpar, Feb 6, 2022
Ask a Question