Strange dialog in windows 2000/xp/2003 found in winlogon.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Georgeajha, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Georgeajha

Georgeajha

In my windows 2000/xp/2003 vm i have noticed this weird dialog in winlogon.exe in resource hacker, i couldn't find any information about it, does anyone know what it is.

Attached Files:

Georgeajha, Feb 16, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. Georgeajha

Elizabeth23

is resource hacker a program?, if so uninstall it and the box should go away.

Elizabeth23, Feb 16, 2020
    1. Advertisements

3. Georgeajha

Georgeajha

Its a program that allows you to explore dll and exe files to modify things in dialogs like the start menu text, im just intrested winlogon.exe contains quite alot of intresting dialogs

Georgeajha, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Georgeajha

Elizabeth23

I cannot explain it, :) all I know of winlogon is that it places a report in the application section of event viewer after you have run checkdisk.

You could go to the website for this program and see if they have a forum available , then you could ask the question of other users of this program

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2020
  5. Georgeajha

Georgeajha

Ah well maybe its just a dialog Microsoft put in and never used, it looks like its got something to do with syskey with that icon. And i am not getting this dialog, im just intrested in what it is

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Georgeajha, Feb 17, 2020
  6. Georgeajha

secpar

Elizabeth23 has likely never used the ResourceHacker program. I have used it to extract icons, and also replace icons in explorer.exe.

That window is just another authorize window that requires admin level credentials to follow through on a system command.

You may have never seen it in action as you may be the only user on your computer.

secpar, Feb 17, 2020
  7. Georgeajha

Georgeajha

I have a domain in virtualbox btw. Have you ever seen it?

Georgeajha, Feb 17, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question