Steam and XP after 1st of January 2019

From typing now 71 days left until Valve will make Steam not working on XP.Its really sad who uses Steam and XP for gaming :(
I hope there will be some hack or workaround to get steam working on XP after it will end support.

The primary reason cited for the cessation of Windows XP and Vista support was attributed to the "embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows". In addition, future versions of the Steam client will need access to security updates and features that only exist in Windows 7 and later editions of the operating system.

above from HERE , do not think a hack is possible but the mfsn forum will have a way if anyone can, :)

There should be some way to hack the last XP/Vista-compatible Steam installer so that it uses an embedded Chromium 49 for the built-in browser, whereby you can still search for/download games. The only 'features' Steam should be offering are the ability to search for/download/play games, and whatever other options are offered besides. There is no legitimate reason to go beyond the setup they're using now. This is blatant planned obsolescence at its absolute worst.

I wouldn't worry too much--I'm sure the folks at MSFN are going to find a way to work around this. They almost always find a way.

There should be some way to hack the last XP/Vista-compatible Steam installer so that it uses an embedded Chromium 49 for the built-in browser, whereby you can still search for/download games. The only 'features' Steam should be offering are the ability to search for/download/play games, and whatever other options are offered besides. There is no legitimate reason to go beyond the setup they're using now. This is blatant planned obsolescence at its absolute worst.

I wouldn't worry too much--I'm sure the folks at MSFN are going to find a way to work around this. They almost always find a way.
Right.So i have registered an account yesterday. :) So i will follow the Windows XP category for new and updates to see :) :)

I've got a feeling a lot of folks are going to be doing likewise. They are REALLY pushing to kill XP. But legends never die!

you're right about legends never dying, see: Freddie Mercury as an example, he is like the music industry's version of Windows XP :p

I hope it will be released here in America...sometimes the UK gets really good documentaries that don't immediately see a US release.

yeah, hehe~
anyway we drifted a little bit offtopic I guess but that's fine :p

with Steam, will old versions still function or are they going to block it altogether? I've not fully got the gist yet and heard a few different things about it

I would not personally know, as I don't use Steam, but I would think it would still be usable, at least for a few more weeks (or months). I'd be quite surprised if they deactivated everything right away.

That damm red box will nag me as hell

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 266
Boy, that's something I've gotten used to as an XP user...TONS of nagging about using an old version, or an old OS. You get accustomed to it after a while, and at this point it doesn't bug me anymore.

Boy, that's something I've gotten used to as an XP user...TONS of nagging about using an old version, or an old OS. You get accustomed to it after a while, and at this point it doesn't bug me anymore.
Same here lol. And I'm also used to the FUD spreading too about using old hardware/etc.
Surely there must be ways to stop these. My technical know-how is very modest, but what about registry tweaks or removing certain microsoft updates. I know of one such update (KB2934207) which is a high priority update. They use this to send us popup notifications that XP is unsupported and out of date. If it is already installed there is also a registry fix to get rid of it.

Back