SSD, trim and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by FranceBB, Dec 23, 2015.

1. FranceBB

FranceBB

Yes, I know, I know... it's been asked too many times, but I'm actually wondering on something specific.
    Windows XP is not able to send trims to the SSD, so here is my question: which software do you suggest to send trims? (Seagate drive)
    Thank you in advance.

FranceBB, Dec 23, 2015
  2. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 23, 2015
  3. FranceBB

FranceBB

I already tried several default ones, but none of them worked. (I googled a bit before actually asking here).
    But anyway, never mind.
    I'm gonna use it as it is and find out.
    At the very end, this SSD is just a present I received, so it doesn't matter whether I cannibalize it or not. I'm pretty confident about SSD drives and I think they are almost able to manage everything themselves.
    Let's find out. I'll keep you updated! ;)

FranceBB, Dec 26, 2015
  4. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

okay, thanks :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 26, 2015
  5. FranceBB

Mike_Walsh

One trick to keep SSDs working efficiently when TRIM is not an option is to leave between 8-12 % of the drive unformatted. This gives the controller room to shuffle 'used' blocks out of service, prior to deleting them and marking them as ready for re-use.

This is mainly due to the nature of flash memory, and the way in which it works. A traditional hard drive, the instant a piece of data is deleted, will straight away report to the host system that that location is ready to be re-used. With flash, it's all down to the way in which blocks of memory (not the individual cells) are deleted, before they are able to be re-used. In other words,

1) With a hard drive, any given data location can be over written immediately.

2) With an SSD, even if a given 'block' is only half-full, say, the entire block has to be deleted, then marked as 'ready for re-use' before it can be used again.

Hope that clarifies matters a wee bit.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Mar 18, 2016
  6. FranceBB

priscus

It may be a question asked many times, but Google search produces little in the way of user commentary on whether experience has been satisfactory or otherwise. ie help in selecting 3rd party provision of 'Trim' is very lacking!

priscus, Jun 3, 2016
  7. FranceBB

Kane9

Kane9, Jun 7, 2016
  8. FranceBB

priscus

Interesting!

My need is not pressing, but I do have a spare 128 Gb SSD, which is not being used for anything currently.

May be tempted to slip it into one of my XP machines, but only if an elegant trim solution emerges, as this time of year, I have a lot to do: no time to go off at a tangent on any additional problem solving projects.

priscus, Jun 7, 2016
  9. FranceBB

Dibya

SSD Tweaker can trim and tweak XP for SSD

Dibya, Jun 9, 2016
  10. FranceBB

priscus

Yes, I did once look into that. I can't recall what steered me away from it, but I did not download it!

Also. I am wondering if I would need to do a 'F6' reinstall. to put AHCI onto my XP machine.

priscus, Jun 9, 2016
Ask a Question