SSD in New XP Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by cornemuse, Dec 9, 2017.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

Well, I picked up a 250gig WD SSD cheap and am thinking of setting up a new system with XP 64.

SSD would be C:\ & have either a 500 g or 1 t as D:\.

I installed a (cloned) ssd in my laptop, but never tried with a desktop.

As I understand things, its better to install programs/data on the D drive, as much as possible.

Any and all tips, suggestions & recommendations welcome
    !!

It is NOT any rush job,

-corne-

cornemuse, Dec 9, 2017
  2. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 9, 2017
  3. cornemuse

Compaq_8200_Elite

I would install programs on C:\ and save data on D:\
    If you want to dual boot XP from 2 hard drives without going into bios modify the boot.ini file to add rdisk(1).

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP x64" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP x64" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Compaq_8200_Elite, Dec 13, 2017
  4. cornemuse

cornemuse

I have 2 identical computers (mobos & video cards, anyways) with XP64, I had to go online to install a few progs, (notably paintdotnet), I phisically unplugged the cat5 cables, no a/v, no firewalls etc. 8 gigs ram, these "antiques" are rockets! AQnything I want for these 2, I d/l with this comp, virus-scan & transfer with thumbs <-some trusted sites I d/l straight to thumb. Originally I did 2 installs, for each. One hdd died & I thought 'I'll try cloning the good drive' 1st bootup with cloned dr in dead drive machine, the machine 'hung' for a few seconds, like 'somethings not right', but then continued boot up just fine, & always thereafter. I made a backup clone hdd.

Now: 1 drive (swappable drive trays, I love ;em) graphic images 600,000 files 'seriously' with thumbnails & software

1 drive full of music & approprate software (I rip from old LP's,a lot of music just not found on CD's)

1 drive: video only. Gets full quick! <-has 500g C:\ & 2 1t byte hdds, <- one which is an old 'ide' drive, old yes, but very low powered up time. <-yeah, in an IDE swappable tray,

These mobos support 4 sata & 4 ide units, the 1st two I use ide cd-roms as I dont burn cds-dvds often, I have a crate of 'em. What I do burn is, I have folders, 1 for xp32 & 1 for xp64 where I have all progs, drivers, updates etc etc, 1 -64 & 1 -32. As I upgrade/find new stuff, I add it to proper folder & occasionally burn a new disk (DVDs, definitly NOT enough room on CDs anymore

People go on about XP 64 being some kind of hermorphadite red-headed stepchild, they are totally wrong!!!!

This comp now is 32 bit cause no one makes a good a/v for -64, thing is, without all that bloated a/v etc software, these 'unplugged' comps fly, , , , ,

-corne-

cornemuse, Dec 14, 2017
  5. cornemuse

Compaq_8200_Elite

XP 64 is great.
    I don't use any Anti-Virus programs. Many if not most AV programs are as bad as a virus. The AV companies prey on computer users fear. This is the same fear game that Microsoft plays with it's Windows updates. I do have a couple of anti spyware programs installed that run manually.

Compaq_8200_Elite, Dec 14, 2017
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  6. cornemuse

cornemuse

I was going through piles & piles of boxes of comp "junk" trying to decide what to toss, (I have to walk sideways in places!), I found a third 'identical' mobo as these above. assembled on the table & the sucker works! I have a spare board now. I also found 2 other identical boards, basically the same as the above, but these two have on-board video. These finds had the old IDE hdds with them from I dont know how long they've been collecting dust. Even have the MSI original driver disks.
    They all (5) will take 4 ide drives/cdroms and have 4 sata ports.
    Found a box of 1Gig DDR2 ram sticks, which these take. (the two I use have 2x4gig sticks) I can/could make the 'new' ones 4 gig without spending any $. Found about 25 IDE & sata cdroms, almost a dozen 350 Watt or higher psu's. Just looked, about 8 cases.

We (my bro's & I) rented to a guy with a computer business, not a store but a bunch of clients. When he moved, he left a garage full of good working comps left over from client upgrades. What this guy did was after setting up a new comp, he put the driver cdrom in the bottom of the case. so there it was. Sweet.

No posts here for a spell!

-c-

edit: inc. about 25 laptops, most needed hdds, I have 4 left

cornemuse, Dec 21, 2017
Ask a Question