Spell checker not working in Firefox

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Janice

Janice

Spell Checker is not working in my Firefox 52.9 ESR - Portable. "Check my spelling as I type" is selected in Options>Advanced menu. Because this is not working, I installed an English dictionary also from Mozilla Addons but it is still not working.

Janice, Mar 20, 2021
  2. Janice

Elizabeth23

again maybe it is because it is portable? I have spell checker and my firefox is installed

I believe cornemuse uses portable firefox, wait till he sees this post or send him a message at his profile page, he might be able to help more than I. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Elizabeth23, Mar 20, 2021
    Janice likes this.
  3. Janice

Janice

I sent him a message. Thank you.

Janice, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Janice

cornemuse

Actually, I have never used a spell-checker in anything. I allus found it very annoying to have the (various) red lines, underlines etc etc pop up after usually the second letter I type. It drives me up the wall!
    Other than that, How do you like FF portable?
    -c-

cornemuse, Mar 21, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  5. Janice

Janice

No complaints. It works with all web sites. I don't see any difference between the portable and the installed version though.
    Strange-this has never happened to me. The built in spell checkers of Forefox, Mypal and Serpent, all wait without doing anything until I type a word completely, however long the word is. Even then they do nothing until I use the space bar or a punctuation mark indicating that I have completed typing the word, and only then that they underline the word in red, quietly without any further fussing about. Just a thin single red line and no other intrusions. I wonder why they have given you such an annoyingly intrusive experience. Just curious.

My keyboard skills are very mediocre and I tend to miss a letter here and there when I try to speed up typing. So I find the spell checker very useful.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Janice, Mar 22, 2021
Ask a Question