Sound problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by sillycat41, Dec 30, 2013.

1. sillycat41

sillycat41

Trying to help a friend get the sound back on Win XP. He claims that he deleted the icon in Control Panel for his sound card... SigmaTel. I couldn't duplicate the problem and everything I've tried to do doesn't restore the sound.

The sound card is dimmed out in Sounds & Audio on the Audio tab for the default device.
    Also tried to tune it on in Services.

Any suggestions?

sillycat41, Dec 30, 2013
  2. sillycat41

Elizabeth23

go to the computers manufacturers website and download the audio driver.

go to device manager and uninstall the old dirver, reboot, install new driver,restart and now check the sound settings.

Elizabeth23, Dec 30, 2013
  3. sillycat41

sillycat41

Thanks for the response. The problem is he bought the computer from a friend who built it therefore there is no name on it like Dell, HP, etc. I need to get into the computer specs somehow and find out who the mfg. of the sound card is... or the motherboard. Where woudl I find that info???:confused:

sillycat41, Jan 1, 2014
  4. sillycat41

Elizabeth23

go to start, run, type in msinfo32, then expand components and then highlight sound device

Elizabeth23, Jan 2, 2014
Ask a Question