So something I’m wanting to get. A wireless mouse that works like a modern mouse but screams 2003

By works like a modern mouse I mean usb, uses a laser and not a ball to detect movement, and preferably has a thin design. All this in a 2003~ case.

I use a wired mouse that I got from staples for 6 dollars, no ball, BUT, realize that not all mouses' will work with xp, some will work with the os but not safe mode or the bios, depends on when the generic usb ports are recognized in post.

but to get back on topic, they also had wireless mice, :) I do not have wireless so I have never tried a wireless mouse, but I am sure someone here will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Ive used a few wireless laser mice & never had issues with them (MS Targus Dell HP etc)

For many years Ive been using a logitech trackball. While it has a ball, it has the sensor underneath. I'm on my fifth one. If only they made it wireless & kept the same shape. I have yet to find any wireless track ball/marble mouse style that feels as comfortable in under my hand.

Maybe try the classic Intellimouse made my Microsoft! it doesn't have the trackball thing but its based on a mouse released around 2003. But just a 2018 remake.

vmbox,

A: as you said, intellimouse isnt a trackball type
B: is righthanded only <-not very comfortable anyway (for me)

I've never had a problem with a mouse under xp and I used everything from bluetooth to RF to USB. I would suggest a name brand like IBM or Dell, I don't like their pc stuff but their mice have always been the best for cost ratio, the cheaper chinese mice jitter and the lasers die fast. I don't find logitech worth it unless you find it a the thrift store. all mice should plug and play under xp.

Back