So I finally made the move to Win 7 Pro...

and also a move to Stanislaus county from the Bay Area. For me the death knell sounded when Mypal got taken over by whichever talentless hack took it over, and quickly turned it into roadkill. That left crummy Firefox, equally awful Opera, Basilisk and Centaury. The latter worked almost as well as Mypal used to, but garbled the sound on videos. Basilisk worked as well as Mypal, but I never could do anything with atrocious zip files....I got it installed once on a previous PC, then never again. Without a decent browser I had no choice, as exploring the web is my number one activity that has replaced the TV.

I'll not lie. I sorely miss XP Pro, and still don't like Win 7, but it will do till I can jump to MX Linux or Linux Lite. At least the browsers all work, and there are no 101 security errors blockading me from nearly every site with Chromium-based browsers. So I guess this is my swansong here. Good luck to them that continue to fight on against insurmountable odds!

...Without a decent browser I had no choice, as exploring the web is my number one activity that has replaced the TV.
Understandable, honestly, its getting pretty hard to stay with XP and I (also) need my video site and I don't have cable.
I'll not lie. I sorely miss XP Pro
I still miss windows 98 and 2000 =P
and also a move to Stanislaus county from the Bay Area!
Wow ... and hopefully this move is a positive thing apart from the OS change - good luck.
Good luck to them that continue to fight on against insurmountable odds!
Thank you .. I think we're gonna need it Lol.

Take good care and hopefully you'll continue to post here seeing that you have knowledge that can help others and, although this forum is pretty quiet, hopefully people that you had a connection with might remain.

All the best :)

-Sal

Last edited:
I'll not lie. I sorely miss XP Pro, and still don't like Win 7, but it will do till I can jump to MX Linux or Linux Lite. At least the browsers all work, and there are no 101 security errors blockading me from nearly every site with Chromium-based browsers. So I guess this is my swansong here. Good luck to them that continue to fight on against insurmountable odds!
Web browsing is the main reason I moved to Windows 7 along with other software that is available for 7 or higher. I actually do like 7 and its Aero theme although unlike XP, not much customization available other than colors.

All of my XP 32 bit software works perfectly in Windows 7 64 bit. The only challenge I encountered was games. Some worked without modification, some required mods/tweaks. Others I had to scour the internet to find ports that worked in 7 or above but finally was able to fully migrate to 7.

If you have a decent spec PC with 4 GB RAM or higher and your CPU has virtualization technology (Intel VT-x or AMD-V) why not install XP in VMWare player 15 (Freeware)? https://customerconnect.vmware.com/...oadGroup=PLAYER-1557&productId=800&rPId=55787

Version 15.x is the last version that will run on Windows 7.

I have XP in a virtual machine and it works perfectly with all my XP era sofware. The advantage is you can run Windows 7 and XP simultaneously and switch back and forth between the two.

Back