show hidden files

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by comp, Dec 1, 2014.

1. comp

comp

I have a program which I must use but it changes the show hidden files and folders to not to show them. It could be it contains some type of virus. But I have to use it as it is.
    How can I change it back to show the hidden files.
    What I would like to know is which file in the windows directory contains this. So I can keep an original file handy and always substitute it after this program has changed it.

comp, Dec 1, 2014
  2. comp

Elizabeth23

you change this in Folder Options, view tab, which you can get to from the control panel.

what is the name of the program??

there should be a settings option that will allow you to disable this change within the program, if not then I would not use a program that changes my settings without my consent. :)

==

Elizabeth23, Dec 2, 2014
  3. comp

comp

Please refer to my other reply. As I wrote this program has a virus and I have no choice but to use it.
    I have tried changing it going to hidden in regedit and changing the number to one. That makes the choice available. But then when I choose see hidden files it reverts back again when I close it.
    At least one can always see and tell if the virus is active by checking the hidden files tab.
    Thanks for all your replies.

comp, Dec 2, 2014
  4. comp

Elizabeth23

Are you sure this is a virus or is it part of the setup of the program??

You could go here and get some infection help as they are thoroughly trained in removing infections , and might be able to help with your book program better than I, but if you have any type of torrent programs installed they will not help. be sure to read the pinned notices if you post here.

Personally I would not use a program that has a virus, all your info is suspect and if you do any banking online I would stop those accounts and start new ones as they are compromised.

Also, if you go online with an infected machine, then that infection can be spread to other computers.

==

what permissions does this program have??

you can limit its permission to change system files, right click on the program , choose properties, and then the security tab, and limit the permissions

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Dec 2, 2014
Ask a Question