Should I Update XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by koolx, Aug 9, 2014.

1. koolx

koolx

In all the time I had XP SP3, I never updated it with MSFT updates. The reason is because I feared my system could be slowed down and blogged down. Is this true?

I want to know, since I read that there is a registry hack to continue to receive updates, even though MSFT no longer supports XP. Please let me know.

koolx, Aug 9, 2014
  2. koolx

Elizabeth23

First the registry hack would really screw up your pc

second your pc should never have been connected to the internet if it had not been updated

YES, it should be updated, mine is and I have not had any problems in 10 years!!

any bogdowns were due to malware and or too many programs fighting with each other, but I have learned which programs to keep and which to jettison.

read the link below on this hack:

http://bgr.com/2014/05/27/windows-xp-security-updates-hack/

==

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Aug 9, 2014
  3. koolx

koolx

So the hack may ruin my system. So my question is, can I still get updates somehow even though MS no longer supports XP? If so, how?

koolx, Aug 9, 2014
  4. koolx

Jojo

You might.

But if you are not having any problems then it might be better simply to continue as you are.

A decent firewall and an occasional scan with a decent virus checker, plus MalwareBytes.

I took every update from M$, while they still saw us XP users as vaguely human. Looking more closely, most were totally unnecessary. Concerning Media player, Office and various networking problems, none of which concern me at all.

The problem with all Windows is they are aimed at corporate networking users. Home users are simply using their gear, because what was on offer to home users back in the 1980s, Commodore, Acorn, Times, Sharp and so on, were all so dire. These companies spent more time trying to make their products exclusive that we, as users, were left with very little.

Then came cheap PCs, largely thanks to IBMs decision to make their OS open source. The age of the IBM compatible was born, leading to a huge number of ever cheaper PCs.

But they were and are, still PCs. Designed to work in a networked office environment. More importantly, The OS, currently Windows, is designed for a central Computer Administrator, with expertise, to control a number of machines used by office minions.

Windows OS isn't aimed at being user friendly. It's aimed at an Office admin to control his staff.

Most of the services in all Windows versions can be turned off. I have most of mine off and my machine is very fast indeed. But it remains, at heart, an office machine, as your is, intended for an office.

The obvious solution is for someone to bring out an OS, designed for the home user. The Home versions of Windows on offer are simply the full versions with a bunch of good bits taken out, intended to encourage us to upgrade.

The problem is complicated once again, by competing corporate interest. At least one of my networking services, Cryptographic services, needs to remain on, simply because a single program uses it to update itself. Other programs use normal updating, but this one and I have to turn on a whole service. Inspite of its intriguing name, it just handles certain certificates which most software writers don't use anyway.

Jojo, Aug 10, 2014
  5. koolx

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 10, 2014
  6. koolx

koolx

Hi, Jojo.. I actually have a problem that you responded to on my other thread about the errors I get regarding VSS and COM+ Event System.

I got Aviva AV and Malewarebytes installed, but no firewall. I got most services turned off except for 14 services. And I only got 3 programs that start up.

I hope this is good enough not to update. But if you think that the updates may resolve those 2 errors, and may improve performance, please let me know.

koolx, Aug 10, 2014
  7. koolx

koolx

Jojo, I forgot to mention something.. I checked for updates and was sent a list of updates for my system. Many of them are about .NET framework for SP1 and SP2. But I got XP SP3. Do these specific updates still pertain to me? Should I install them or ignore them?

koolx, Aug 10, 2014
  8. koolx

Elizabeth23

.net is completely different from sp (service packs)

there are service pack updates for .net, but generally some programs call for a .net installation, it depends on your programs that you have installed.

Most will tell you that you need to have .netxxx installed (xxx = number of .net I have all the way up to . net 4 extended installed on my pc.

any updates that are listed in the high priority section of Microsoft updates are to patch security holes and should be installed.

==============

a side note, you stated that you have no firewall, you MUST have a firewall if not windows then zone alarm or another.

Elizabeth23, Aug 10, 2014
  9. koolx

Jojo

As Elizabeth says, would that it be that easy.

I have Microsoft .NET Framework. 2.0. 3.0, 3.5, 4 and 4 extended. Also 5 versions of Visual C++.

All downloaded by software, mainly online games which I waste much of my time on.

Sadly, the only way to be sure is to read the Knowledge Base. That is tedious, boring and sadly, often, misleading.

Download the pack that Elizabeth suggested. Burn the whole thing onto a DVD. Install as required and demanded by various programs.

But be careful, as that pack includes both XP 64bit and 32bit. If you have 64bit, you many need both. If you have 32bit, it is unlikely. It also included updates for Vista and W7, possibly W8. Check what you're installing. But it will do the job.

Most importantly, look at the list I posted and decide which services you definitely don't need. Turn these off. Cross check with Blackviper. and Overclockers. Bear in mind, both of these are aimed as specific setups. Blackviper uses and office network, while Overclockers are really a bunch of boys having a spitting contest, suing their computer rigs. But you get the idea!! :rolleyes:

http://www.xpforums.com/computer-shows-2-errors-help-t932013.html

Jojo, Aug 10, 2014
  10. koolx

koolx

Hi, Elizabeth and Jojo. Thanks for the feedback. I have a 32 bit machine. Jojo sad I should be careful not to install 64 bit updates. So how do I know for sure which updates are 32 bit?

And I dont see the high priority section of Microsoft updates. How can I find out which updates are high priority?

koolx, Aug 11, 2014
  11. koolx

koolx

Elizabeth and Jojo.. I forgot to mention again that the link Jojo posted specifies to turn off the MSFT firewall. Should I? And lastly, should I update my java or is it unecessary?

koolx, Aug 11, 2014
  12. koolx

Elizabeth23

1. only turn the firewall off if you have another firewall, I will check the link again.

2. ALWAYS update your programs, IMO java can be uninstall unless a program you have specifically calls for java, keeping it updated covers any security holes that java is prone to have.

3. when you go to microsoft updates page, there are two options express scan and custom scan, the express scan will only scan for high priority scans, the custom scan will scan for all updates. For example if you install .net as an optional updated then the next express scan will have high priority updates for the .net program.

4. do you see the two options when you go to microsoft updates??

5. when you go to microsoft updates and it performs it scans for updates it will be for your machine, you will not have to worry about the 64/32 bit question.

6. I looked back through this thread and did not see a link from Jojo, will look at your other thread.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Aug 11, 2014
  13. koolx

Elizabeth23

ALSO:

still see no link, could you repost it??

Elizabeth23, Aug 11, 2014
  14. koolx

koolx

Hi, elizabeth. Here's the link to my other thread where Jojo posted a pic of what I'm talking about. There, you will see that it states one can turn off MSFT firewall.

Also, do you know anything about CSS code?

Thank you for everything, sweety.

koolx, Aug 12, 2014
  15. koolx

Elizabeth23

https://www.google.com/#q=CSS+code+what+is+this

I do not know what to do with the css code, but the above search page has lots of hits on it.

looked at the thread still did not see link, HOWEVER, you need a firewall, if you do not use windows then use zonealarm or another, but you need a firewall!!!

sometimes you are asked to turn off a firewall or antivirus to install something, I never do, if it will not install with both on, then I do not want the program. :)

==

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Aug 12, 2014
  16. koolx

koolx

My apologies, elizabeth. Here's the link to my other thread. Look at the pic that Jojo posted. The info on it says to turn off Windows Firewall. Let me know what you think:

http://www.xpforums.com/computer-shows-2-errors-help-t932013.html

Also, I cant get my DVD/CD player to play anything. I tried to uninstall it in Device Manager, but that doesnt work. I also removed the drive from the laptop and reinserted it. But that didnt do anything either. Please let mw know what to do..

As always, thank you for all your help and attention.

koolx, Aug 12, 2014
  17. koolx

koolx

I also tried this link, posted below. But I get an error this error:

We're sorry, but the program encountered an error trying to contact the server. Please try again later.

To download a utility to troubleshoot this problem, click here.

[Code: 80072F8F]

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

koolx, Aug 12, 2014
  18. koolx

Elizabeth23

http://gavinmckay.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/howto-fixing-windows-update-error-code-80072f8f/

that error is generally for date/time issues, is the date/time set correctly on your pc??

have you checked your bios time??

==================

Firewall: Jojo does not use windows firewall, so he has it turned off, he uses a different firewall. I use windows firewall. The choice is yours. If you use zone alarm or another firewall, then yes, turn off windows firewall. You can only have one firewall running.

==============

do you have sp3 installed?? if not this may be why you cannot run the utility. microsoft will only allow updates with sp3, so the fixits need sp3 also.

I downloaded the utility with no problem.

19. koolx

Elizabeth23

ALSO:

I had seen the link for your previous thread, I had thought you were referring to some other link. :)

==============

Windows XP "Services" relating to: DVD, CD ROM problems

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;320553
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314060

http://hardwarehell.com/discus/messa...tml?1094678247
    Relates to "Creative" DVD CDROM software
    """1. Made sure the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" was set to Automatic. """
    """2. Made sure thet the "Creative Service for CDROM Access" was set to Disabled."""

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/print.shtml
    """Creative Service for CDROM Access. This service is added during installation of Creative’s Disc Detector (Which is installed as part of Creative PlayCenter for Live! & Audigy Soundcards). Set this to Automatic if you have Disc Detector enabled, otherwise set this to Manual."""

"""IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service. Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). Should you have a CD-RW installed in your system set this to Automatic to enable CD burning, although if you use a CD Burning application other than the built-in XP one (Or have no CD-RW installed) you may be able to set this to Manual without effecting burning capability."""

Did your drive work before??

have you accidentally deleted the drivers??

what is the make, model, and model number of the drive??

cd or cd/dvd???

make, model and model number of laptop??

does device manager show any yellow exclamation warnings ???

20. koolx

Elizabeth23

Ask a Question