Searching for Files/Folders in XP Network Location

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by curieux, Nov 8, 2013.

1. curieux

curieux

I have a computer acting as a "file server", running windows XP Pro (32 bit). I have about 6 PCs running various versions of XP, all on the same workgroup. Each of these computers is able to access the shared file server folders, and each computer can perform searches to these network locations.

The problem is one computer that is running Windows 7 (Pro 32). I have it running on the same workgroup, and I am able to see the shared folders the same as with the XP computers. The difference is in the search. I am unable to perform a reliable search to any network folder on the workgroup. (I have my search settings set to search subfolders and files, both names and contents of files.) If I search for any or all of a file name, for example, in a location that I know the file exists in, it simply is not found. It will sometimes find the file, if I search directly in the folder of the file, BUT it will also find some files that are buried several subfolders deeper than the one I am trying to find. So I don't think it is a simple matter of not looking through subfolders.

I have been able to recreate this exactly with another machine running Windows 7, so I don't think it is a fluke of the machine. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

curieux, Nov 8, 2013
  2. curieux

Elizabeth23

Ask a Question