SD Cards versus USB Sticks

Just upgraded my facility for enjoying music in the car, and player will take both of above media types.

Can anyone speak from experience concerning the merits of one over tuther for this purpose?

Some older media players do not read sd cards through sd card readers, other than that, get a 'usb 3' card reader, & you're good to go.

Thanks, both of you.

Player will handle both types, so that is not an issue. Just wondered which will prove superior, in practice.

As far as costs are concerned, there seems little difference.

Audio is hardly pushing the limits: seems that both manage it comfortably.

So far, all I have discovered is SD card more likely to get lost in car, against fact that because USB device protrudes, more likely to get knocked or snagged.

Guess I will try both, and see how they work out, but figured that there is no harm in asking the experience of other users first.

Thanks, both of you.

Player will handle both types, so that is not an issue. Just wondered which will prove superior, in practice.

As far as costs are concerned, there seems little difference.

Audio is hardly pushing the limits: seems that both manage it comfortably.

So far, all I have discovered is SD card more likely to get lost in car, against fact that because USB device protrudes, more likely to get knocked or snagged.

Guess I will try both, and see how they work out, but figured that there is no harm in asking the experience of other users first.

I have a 6" usb extension for just this reason!

I would like to listen to music while I drive, but if I do then I can not here my push to talk phone, so no music, :(

as for a sd card getting lost, if you have many hours of music on it then you will not have to remove it for a long while so it will not get lost, :)

Prescus, you really have a bad hair day there, hope you dont bite :rolleyes:

128 GB flash drives are a computers best friend, I have 400 GB's of them,

trying to give back some help here for all the help I got

SD cards are much easier to boot leg, there is a whole lawyer site forum dedicated to kicking the but of on line sellers of fakes.

Flash drives all most all, have a bad key hook, the plastic hole wears out, I epoxy a good small metal loop to the back of mine, pny and san disk seem tops.

there are cheap versions of both, don't mess with them, if the flash drive has no flash
diode light, its a lower class model.

they will almost never wear out if you do not erase and erase over and over.

organize what you want to hear and put it on there, always buy 2 drives at a time, use one as a in use device, mark with paper the other and back the whole in use device on to the back up and put in a drawl for emergency use.

if your player allows always use WAV lossless files, they are more stable, sound better and even make your DAC get warmer and sound better, DAC's sound best warm.

if your device will let you, instead of putting 300 cd's on a flash, put jazz all under jazz file, folk all under a folk file, on same flash, then you can fly through files to get to what you want to hear faster instead of scrolling through a hundred loose cd titles

just go to jazz and open to get all jazz files, some players wont allow this.

SD cards have bad heat dispensation and can damage at high speed being down loaded with 80 GB's of music all at once

don't laugh, but i put flash drives in fridge over night if I am gonna do a huge down load on one

ps

I guess it is easier to fake SD cards, though I have used far more USB sticks than I have cards, and have come across quite a few fakes amongst the USB drives. Usually a case of quoting a higher capacity than was true description. (Usually, when Higher capacity drives first becoming available, and someone fraudulently labelling and selling a lower capacity drive , being passed off as one)

I believe that USB flash drives would be better pricewise. 128GB SD cards can range from £30-£100!
USB drives are cheaper, ranging from £25-£50.
One thing I can say for definite is (as you probably already know), watch out for fakes.
A general rule of thumb is that if it's too good to be true, it probably is!

Back