Screen blinking

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by jack in nb, May 11, 2015.

1. jack in nb

jack in nb

Started yesterday. The screen flashes off for a fraction of a second at irregular intervals - sometimes every 2 seconds, sometimes less frequently. No sound change with the blink. No correlation with programs running - it starts as soon as my program icons appear on the screen.

Dell Dimension 3000, Samsung SyncMaster 912N flat monitor.

Any thoughts?

jack in nb, May 11, 2015
  2. jack in nb

Elizabeth23

what resolution is it set to? 1280x1024 ??

what about the refresh rate??

==========

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/912N

above is support page for the 912n. download and read the manual, find out if it is still under warranty,

did you try it on a different pc??

look in device manager is there any warnings next to display and what are the exact error messages??

Elizabeth23, May 11, 2015
  3. jack in nb

jack in nb

Well, Elizabeth, I welcome you back to my problem arena!

Resolution and refresh rate? couldn't find that info in the System part of the control panel. The manual says 1280 x 1024 at 60 or 75 Hz.

I haven't been at that parameter - just plugged it into this computer back in Jan and it worked fine until Sat.

I had been playing with an old program on Sat - ModelCad - and trying to get it to run on XP. (ran fine on Win 95 and 98). No joy. Thought it might have injected something into the system, so went back to a week old restore point. It did it's thing, then gave me a message that the restore was incomplete - no changes had been made.

The blinking continues.

It's an old monitor not under warranty; haven't tried it on another unit, and there were no error messages under Monitor in Device Manager.

jack in nb, May 11, 2015
  4. jack in nb

jack in nb

Update:

System Information under accessories tells me the monitor is set to 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz.

jack in nb, May 12, 2015
  5. jack in nb

Elizabeth23

I do not think a system restore will work but try to do one from safe mode, to a week ago, and see if that helps.

control panel/ display/settings tab/ you can set your resolution here, and on the advanced button of the same tab, you will see the refresh rate setting.

look under display adaptors in device manager also, might have to reinstall the driver.

If you could test the monitor in a different system to see if it is the monitor or the system that has the issue. ::

Elizabeth23, May 12, 2015
  6. jack in nb

jack in nb

As you suggested, I hooked up the monitor to another computer today.

It still blinks, so that isolates the problem to the monitor, not the computer. And I doubt very much that any mere mortal can repair innards on those units!

jack in nb, May 12, 2015
  7. jack in nb

Elizabeth23

not generally, this is the disposable generation, other than trying to reinstall the driver to see if that might fix it, but once a monitor starts acting up it is generally toast.

Elizabeth23, May 12, 2015
  8. jack in nb

jack in nb

Thank you again for your helpful assistance!

jack in nb, May 12, 2015
  9. jack in nb

Inxaniwe

black screen with _ cursor on the top left of screen

Inxaniwe, Jun 3, 2015
Ask a Question