Saying goodbye to XP soon :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Katie Boundary, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Katie Boundary

Katie Boundary

So... after many, many years, I've finally learned the last pieces of information that I need in order to make Win7 not suck. I've learned how to take ownership of the Program Files directory, get animated wallpapers back, and force Win7 to act like XP in almost all other ways. Compatibility with old software is the only thing holding me back now, and for that, I've also been learning Linux, Virtualbox, and VMware.

Fresh installations of Windows XP no longer download and install the updates that were issued from 2001-2014. Hacked and pirated versions of XP (like the Integral Edition) are now the only place to find those updates. Ivy Bridge motherboards and GeForce 700-series graphics cards are getting rarer. Over five years after Microsoft officially pulled the plug, it looks like the sun is finally setting on XP. And I'm f**king depressed and angry about it but at least I've prepared. There's nothing left for me to do now but hope that my current desktop lives as long as possible.

Katie Boundary, Nov 25, 2019
  2. Katie Boundary

cartpusher54

I have integral edition 2017 running and I really like it. I dont think windows xp will ever set for me unless the web does not work on it anymore which lets hope that never ever happens.

cartpusher54, Nov 26, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  3. Katie Boundary

Janice

I did my last clean install of XP Pro just one month ago with an XP CD that was purchased around 2009. Microsoft Update (Automatic Updates), offered all updates that were missing, up to the end of support in April 2014 and I installed all those I wanted.

I have selected 'not to download or install updates but to notify me when updates are available'.

Today I went to Automatic Updates again and the updates that I opted out of are still being offered to me live. So the update servers are still working and available for XP :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Janice, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Katie Boundary

SmilinDoug

I actually have three desktops, XP, 7, and Linux. I mostly used my Linux computer because it was safest, but lately I've been using all three at different times. I'll probably stick to using all three because they have different programs and different uses. I'm on my XP computer now. As long as they all run pretty good I'll keep using them.

My Dad has Windows 10 and I do not like that at all. I'm hoping Microsoft changes direction, but I think they'll keep going in the same crappy direction as 10.

SmilinDoug, Nov 26, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  5. Katie Boundary

Janice

Anything is better than Windows 10, even a minimal OS like Puppy Linux :eek:

Janice, Nov 26, 2019
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  6. Katie Boundary

SmilinDoug

Newegg still sells parts for older computers. Just go to the left side of the screen and look for DDR or DDR2 stuff.

https://www.newegg.com/

SmilinDoug, Nov 26, 2019
    jim davis and trimis like this.
  7. Katie Boundary

jim davis

yea but think of all the jazz music, and fun parties you missed learning this stuff.

jim davis, Nov 28, 2019
  8. Katie Boundary

jim davis

save your dads personal respect for his personal life and chuck his WIN 10 in the bath tub when full of water while still plugged in, but stand way back

PS go to MS.com before you throw it in on,

jim davis, Nov 28, 2019
  9. Katie Boundary

jim davis

LIZ
    WHAT KIND OF SAFETY RATING DO YOU GIVE TURNING ON AUTO UPDATES THIS LATE IN THE GAME, MINE HAS BEEN OFF FOR 2 YEARS

jim davis, Nov 28, 2019
  10. Katie Boundary

jim davis

YEA
    IT used to be barbarians just ran sacked women and children,
    now its called "Wise Business Sense" to get everybody for all you can

jim davis, Nov 28, 2019
  11. Katie Boundary

trimis

Just keep clear of Win8 &10, and you will be okay. Win 7 is slightly worse than XP for privacy, but not by a lot. Worst downside is no XPlite app to trim all the needless bloatware, so with Win7, what you get is what you are stuck with.

trimis, Nov 29, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  12. Katie Boundary

XpTime

Windows 7 is good and all, but you can run Xp on a virtual machine or an real machine apart from your main machine.
    However if you are really gonna leave xp, then i hope you enjoy your time at windows 7.

XpTime, Nov 29, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  13. Katie Boundary

ClippyBeer

Sad but inevitable. I'm currently on Windows 7 and have migrated all my XP apps over the years with only a few snafus here and there (mostly games). Unfortunately the sun is setting on Windows 7 as Microsoft will be stop providing updates in 2020. As has always been the case with other MS OSes, developers will follow suit and stop supporting Windows 7 soon after.

So I will be forced to another Windows OS. Not a big fan of 8.1 (it's on my work laptop) but even less of a fan of Windows 10 which I have setup on my HTPC.

Truthfully if you are not a PC gamer a good Linux variant would probably be more suited to your needs. The major browsers (Firefox and Chrome) have Linux versions and there are many Windows multimedia apps that have Linux versions (VLC, Kodi, Clementine). I had Office 2010 running in Ubuntu Linux under Wine. The HP Laserjet drivers worked without a hitch.

ClippyBeer, Dec 3, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  14. Katie Boundary

Mike_Walsh

Many people are unaware that VLC (as well as the G.I.M.P - the GNU Image Manipulation Program) are both native to the Linux platform. It's where they were originally developed. Windows ports were always a big part of the 'ground-plan', simply because of the size of the market, but trust me; they run far smoother & faster under Linux.

Same with Firefox. The Mozilla Foundation ha always been one of the open-source world's 'success' stories.....and the browser is extremely fast & smooth on our side of the fence, and a pleasure to use.

The Windows ports have always been somewhat, ah....'buggy', if the truth be known.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Dec 4, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  15. Katie Boundary

trimis

A redone version of GIMP for windows is Gimpshop (https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/Gimpshop.shtml). I was messing with it on my previous PC, and found no bugs, though I had only been at it a few months.

trimis, Apr 9, 2020
  16. Katie Boundary

jim davis

So... after many, many years, I've finally learned the last pieces of information that I need in order to make Win7 not suck.

I have just switched, and like it some what more except its more geek-ed out, and as always not fit for a woman, child or man to go near for privacy issues.

from monzilla ADD---NO SCRIPT -scripts are huge tracking source

START PAGE search TOTAL ANON ON WEBSITES EVEN YOUR IP ADDRESS

COOKIE AUTO DELETE, NO TRACKING YOU

GHOUSTERY- MORE OF THE ABOVE AND IS BETTER ON A CELL PHONE.

These will not stop the gov. from watching, WHICH IS NOT A REAL ISSUE, hackers, trackers and other motherless psycho's are, Many are good at getting rich cause they can run faster up the class war ladder because they have no feeling to get hurt, and drag them down, as such many once safe open ware company's listed as safe, get bought by them, and you get bugged, watched what ever.
    YTD downloader is a case in point, once no odd ware
    then they got bought by a predator, and can sue you for bad mouthing their re invented invasive product, even forums, but they can not sue individual posters like us, mean while Elizabeth here can not make a post or comment as a MOD, against them.

FEEL THE LOVE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

be safe out there

jim davis, Apr 9, 2020
  17. Katie Boundary

jim davis

Don't be depressed, be thankful your free of being like they are and that would be much worse, Dance:D:):D:) cause your a woman with respect for others.

never delude your self, these whackos are not happy, never know joy, just ego-centric hysteria :eek::eek::eek::eek:

buy the parts now you will need later and get a flash drive copy of your disk program for clean rein stalls

jim davis, Apr 9, 2020
  18. Katie Boundary

jim davis

ONLY SAFE THING TO DO

jim davis, Apr 9, 2020
  19. Katie Boundary

Frost The Loser

If it helps to avoid trackers, try using a VPN or Tor Browser. Tor Browser can be configured to browse the web like a normal browser easily. :)

Frost The Loser, May 3, 2020
    jim davis likes this.
  20. Katie Boundary

jim davis

Hi Frost and thank you for yours
    not sure but guess your advocating real high security stuff which i don't need
    and even more so something that is time consuming to learn.
    Mostly I just hate that some company that I may have a extreme dis liking for
    like MS, may in any shape or form has access to the guts of my computer.

Respect for others is COOL.

P.S. the pig in my avatar caught corrona virus, got well quick at the hospital, and married his nurse, they had twin girls, I named one Elizabeth and the other- Frosty the winner.

PS frosty, I just gave you your first "LIKE" and welcome to forum
    watch out for Clippy Beer, hes ten times smarter then he looks :p:p:p

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    jim davis, May 4, 2020
    Frost The Loser likes this.
Ask a Question