sata drive detected on windows 10 pc but not xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by bread, Mar 16, 2022.

1. bread

bread

the HDD detects in bios of the windows xp machine, but not on desktop, not in device manager, not in disk management, nothing.

on windows 10 its no problem, i can format, add files etc. i tried formatting multiple times including to ext4 back to NTFS, ive tried MBR and GPT, ive tried using winxp/2000 presets, everything. this is so odd and i dont know how to handle this or what to do, please help

bread, Mar 16, 2022
  2. bread

Madeleine Takam

No idea what hard drive you are using. If it is over 2TB then you will not usually be able to see on a 32Bit XP system. Might be able to help if you give the model of your hard-drive. The motherboard you are using.: And also are you using Windows XP 32Bit or 64Bit.

Sometimes one can also have problems if a disk has been formatted on Windows 10 first. Windows 10 is basically 64Bit Dos with a GUI on top.

I have included a PDF of how one removes a partition in 64Bit Windows 10

Attached Files:

Madeleine Takam, Mar 17, 2022
    cornemuse likes this.
  3. bread

bread

ive tried everything, but ill give this a shot too

Biostar K8M800
    Win XP 32 bit
    hard drive is some WD blue 250gb from 2012

like i said HDD appears in bios just fine, but once on the desktop of the XP, its no where to be found

bread, Mar 21, 2022
  4. bread

cornemuse

Have you tried "Control Panel" -- "Administrative Tools"-- "Computer Management" -- click on "Device Manager" -- right side click on '+ Disk drives' = (highlite), right-click on Disk drives, click on 'Scan for hardware changes', see what happens, , , ,
    If nothing appears with or without a yellow ? on it, then well, I dont have a clue, , , , ,
    Worth a try, though.

cornemuse, Mar 21, 2022
    Madeleine Takam likes this.
  5. bread

bread

yeah nothing there

bread, Mar 21, 2022
  6. bread

Madeleine Takam

I have had a similar problem to you, when transferring 2TB drives from Windows 10 64Bit to a Windows XP 32Bit system. I fixed this problem by using the method I set out in the PDF. It is important to use “delete partition override” in 64Bit Dos on your Windows 10 system.

As an addendum to Cornemuse’s suggestion above: Can you even see the Disk Drive in “Device Manager”?

If you can then it is going to be a partition management issue, that means putting the drive back on to Windows 10 and deleting partitions before connecting back to Windows XP.

Another way of checking for problems is connecting a Sata to USB adapter if you have one and plugging in once computer is fully booted up. IE – does it ping up?

As an afterthought – You may need to Check your settings in the Bios to how it interacts with the Hard drive. For instance is it on AHCI or SATA or IDE. I have also had a good look at you Bios and it defaults to RAID you need to set to stand alone SATA mode.

Madeleine Takam, Mar 21, 2022
  7. bread

bread

i had hope but too much hope, i did as you said in the PDF, and still nothing, comes up in BIOS but not windows, checked device manager, hidden devices, scanned new hardware, everything. I got nothing, i even tried swapping cables, this is crazy! In bios its set to IDE not raid and i clicked auto detect on the hard drive, its in auto not large, and the other option was set to auto not off.
    idk what to do moving forward

crazy enough, would installing (another) copy of windows xp on that hdd be a good idea? maybe it will set some options down so the hard drive associates itself with windows xp based systems.

then go into the main windows and A. see if its there or B. erase the partition in diskpart (if its there)

bread, Mar 22, 2022
  8. bread

Mr Siamese Cat

Looking at the information in this thread: Then your next step is really easy…… You have a number of hard drives, because you have your operating system W10 and XP on different drives. You also have this spare drive. All you need to do now is isolate the problem. Put another hard drive on that SATA line that you are using for your 250GB and see if you can see that. If you can see this other hard drive then your problem is your 250GB hard drive. If you can’t see this new one either, then you need to sort out settings in Bios.

Remember that just because you can see the hard drive on Windows 10 with the Bios settings you have doesn’t mean that you will be able to in XP. I would also try setting that hard drive to AHCI if I was you. W10 is more tolerant of wrong settings. XP likes things right.

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 22, 2022
  9. bread

bread

ahci isnt an option in this bios to my knowledge

bread, Mar 22, 2022
  10. bread

Mr Siamese Cat

Go into your IDE Devices on your VIA Bios.

Take a photograph of your Bios with your phone then post is to the site.

OnChip SATA should be enabled

SATA Mode = What have you got is set at?

Also let me know how you got on with swapping your hard drive out.

You need to help us to help you.

From your Bios Manual

OnChip SATA

This option allows you to enable the onchip Serial ATA.

The Choices: Enabled (default), Disabled.

SATA Mode

This option allows you to select SATA Mode.

The Choices: IDE, RAID (default).

IDE DMA Transfer Access

This option allows you to select IDE DMA Transfer Access.

OnChip IDE Channel 0/1

The motherboard chipset contains a PCI IDE interface with support for

two IDE channels. Select "Enabled" to activate the first and/or second IDE

interface. Select "Disabled" to deactivate an interface if you are going to install a

primary and/or secondary add-in IDE inter

IDE Prefetch Mode

The "onboard" IDE drive interfaces supports IDE prefetching for faster drive

access. If the interface does not support prefetching. If you install a primary

and/or secondary add-in IDE interface, set this option to "Disabled".

Primary / Secondary /Master / Slave PIO

The IDE PIO (Programmed Input / Output) fields let you set a PIO

mode (0-4) for each of the IDE devices that the onboard IDE interface

supports. Modes 0 to 4 will increase performance progressively. In Auto mode,

the system automatically determines the best mode for each device.

The Choices: Auto (default), Mode0, Mode1, Mode2, Mode3, Mode4.

Primary / Secondary /Master / Slave UDMA

Ultra DMA/100 functionality can be implemented if it is supported by the IDE

hard drives in your system. As well, your operating environment requires a DMA

driver (Windows 95 OSR2 or a third party IDE bus master driver). If your hard

drive and your system software both support Ultra DMA/100, select Auto to

enable BIOS support.

The Choices: Auto (default), Disabled.

IDE HDD Block Mode

Block mode is also called block transfer, multiple commands, or multiple sector

read / write. If your IDE hard drive supports block mode (most new drives do),

select Enabled for automatic detection of the optimal number of block mode

(most new drives do), select Enabled for automatic detection of the optimal

number of block read / write per sector where the drive can support.

The Choices: Enabled (default), Disabled

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 22, 2022
  11. bread

MisterEd

Did you install the motherboard's SATA driver? Windows XP has no native SATA support.

Note if you want to install Windows XP on a SATA hard drive you must either slipstream the driver into the Windows XP CD or supply it on a floppy disk during the installation. If booting on an IDE drive then you can wait until after installation to install the SATA driver.

I bought an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard in 2002. It had a SATA 1.0 controller onboard. I couldn't add a SATA hard drive to it right away because there were no SATA hard drives available until 2003. When I did add a SATA hard drive it worked fine after I installed the SATA driver.

MisterEd, Mar 23, 2022
  12. bread

bread

where can i find sata drivers? trying to look everywhere for amd ones

bread, Mar 23, 2022
  13. bread

bread

dont have another HDD to try
    looks like my MOBO uses SATA 1.0
    [​IMG]

bread, Mar 23, 2022
  14. bread

bread

bread, Mar 24, 2022
  15. bread

Mr Siamese Cat

I am at a real loss now. I thought you had a disk with windows 10 on and another disk with Windows XP along with this WD Blue 250gb?

It would been helpful if you had told us you were actually booting from an old PATA drive, which is what your Maxtor 6E040l0 is. (It’s only a 40GB also)

Therefore it certainly a case that you need SATA drivers for XP to even see the WD Blue 250gb they will probably be there in Windows 10. I would forget about AHCI for now.

I really don’t understand why you don’t get a yellow exclamation mark in device manager.

Your motherboard apparently supports SATA . However you are using an IDE (PATA) drive as your Boot Drive.

Where is the original driver disk for your motherboard?

Sorry I couldn’t get on to the Website that you left a link to, because you posted a website that doesn’t support XP.

However after a huge amount of time spent typing in “Biostar K8M800 drivers” about 5 seconds in actual fact, all the drivers for your motherboard are here.

https://www.driversdownloader.com/biostar-drivers/biostar-motherboard-k8m800-micro-am2

I suggest you download all.

But the one you want for this problem to be solved is

Serial ATA RAID drvdisk.exe

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 24, 2022
  16. bread

bread

sorry lol everythings just been a mess, atleast i posted photos so you have a clearer understanding. I set it from IDE to raid, and im going to try this drvdisk.exe rn

ok so this is what i see from drvdisk
    [​IMG]
    what folder files go into system32/drivers

bread, Mar 24, 2022
  17. bread

Mr Siamese Cat

I suggest you get driver from here The actual Biostar site

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/es/eol/introduction.php?S_ID=141#download

It should be easy to install if you had a yellow exclamation mark in “Device Manager” You would just install driver from there.

It should be under Disk Controllers.

But I have no idea what you have in Device manager

How to Install a driver from Device Manager
    1. Locate the device and model that is having the issue and double-click on it to open the Properties dialog box.

2. Select the Driver tab.

3. Click the Update Driver button and follow the instructions.

In most cases, you will need to reboot your computer in order for the driver update to take effect.

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 24, 2022
  18. bread

bread

works, FINALLY

bread, Mar 24, 2022
Ask a Question