SATA and XP x64.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Jeyneko, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Jeyneko

Jeyneko

I'm going to install XP 64-bit onto a computer using nForce (GeForce 8200).
    I can switch to IDE mode in the BIOS, and will initially install the XP Pro 64 SP2 that way, and then install the nForce driver to get SATA ability.

Will I be able to do this reliably and have the computer use SATA mode correctly, even if it installs in IDE mode?

I already checked and most of the device drivers seem to work with XP 64-bit, so that's a good thing :)

Thanks.

Jeyneko, Oct 30, 2018
  2. Jeyneko

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 30, 2018
  3. Jeyneko

Jeyneko

That helps, thanks :)
    I'll give it a go soon ^^

Jeyneko, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Jeyneko

cornemuse

I have never had any problem installing XP-64 on any older (sata+ide connectors) motherboards. If not planning to do a lot of dvd/cd burning, I install an ide cdrom, allowing installing, typically, 4 sata hdds. I have mostly bought new MSI mobos, I always prefered MSI. On older used computers (sata+ide), I have aquired, never had problems with them either. Main problem with these is/was getting motherboard new installation drivers.

Not sure if this helps, , , , , not sure of your 'issues'.

-c-

cornemuse, Oct 31, 2018
  5. Jeyneko

Jeyneko

Okay, I'll go for it! I'm probably going to burn a CD with XP Pro x64 SP2 since the desktop has a CD/DVD drive, so yay!

Just hoping my TP-Link WLAN will work

Jeyneko, Oct 31, 2018
  6. Jeyneko

Jeyneko

Well I read that and annoyingly the thing doesn't want to operate in AHCI mode after installing the drivers the way that website said.

I'm going to slipstream instead or maybe just leave it in IDE mode, either way suits me as I'm unsure if this has SATA III support anyway

Jeyneko, Nov 2, 2018
Ask a Question