SATA 1 or SATA 3 albeit on a peripheral card?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by priscus, May 8, 2019.

1. priscus

priscus

Greetings everyone.

Don't get on here much these days (Arthritic hands, poor eyesight, need to avoid prolonged sedentary activity etc etc) but I do look in from time to time.

Wonder if any of you can advise me on my best option. I am about to stick an SSD into a quite old PC (Home brew).

Has one of the Abit motherboards (remember them, they were aimed at hardware enthusiasts), but given age, it is only SATA 1.

It does have SATA 3 available, on a PCIE card.

I have established that the PC will run Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1. It has a fast processor, and Hi Def HDMI graphics but only 4 GB RAM.

Wonder if anyone will care to suggest which you would expect to deliver best performance: using motherboard's SATA 1 port, or SATA 3 port on PCIE card?

I am prepared to experiment, and try both, if anyone can suggest a SIMPLE way of timing each to compare their performance.

Cheers everyone. Sorry I do not get to spend more time with you all these days.

Love to everyone,
    priscus.

priscus, May 8, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  2. priscus

cornemuse

All that data running through that card then runs through that 'old' computer. I cant imagine any noticeable difference in speed.
    Those cards typically have 2 sata ports, does yours? If so, try copying a large (5-10 gigs) amount of data, first sata-1 to sata-3, timing it. (you have to sit there & watch it!)
    Then same data, sata-3 to sata-3. Note any difference. You sound like me, lots 'o' free time!
    -c-

cornemuse, May 9, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  3. priscus

priscus

That will not work.

SATA 3 to SATA 3, would drive two streams of data through the PCIE Bus. These cards plainly slow down upon increasing the number of SATA ports which are active.

I suppose, to restate my question in technical terms, I am asking which is faster, SATA 1, driven by the NVIDIA 'N-FORCE 4' Controller chip (Equivalent of the old South Bridge) or SATA 3 driven by a single lane PCIE Bus?

Since the PCIE bus is also, in turn, being driven by the N-FORCE 4 controller chip, I will only gain advantage if said controller can drive this bus faster than it drives the SATA 1 interface.

And, that is what I do not know!

This is the card in question

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...c16-d4b886747c64&pf_rd_r=SW8PKHNF6HM2D4J1F6EG

priscus, May 22, 2019
  4. priscus

priscus

PS I know that the PCIE x1 speed is 100 MB per Sec faster than SATA 1, but processing overheads will mean that in practice data is not being transferred at bus speeds.

priscus, May 22, 2019
Ask a Question