Restoring a Toshiba Satellite 5205-S503 with XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by rustedmetal, Feb 14, 2021.

1. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Hi, everyone. Fist time here in this forum. I have a hobby of mine where i like to get old laptops be it broken or with missing components and restore or make them work again. I have done it with a few but i have my first one running XP SP3. It's a Toshiba Satellite 5205-S503 which seemed to have been a high end pc back in the days running a pentium 4 m and some very impressive speakers. Anyway, i installed Win XP HE; now what? i know this much; Mypal is the best browser to use at the moment, there's also an unofficial update after SP3 in RyanVM.net. But before i do anything i would like to ask and get some assistance if possible at where do i start? Maybe there's something else out there that could enhance the experience...i don't know. Oh, and i heard about nliteos but that seems a bit complicated. Thanks all!

rustedmetal, Feb 14, 2021
  2. rustedmetal

Lockherup

What are you looking to do ? I would have installed XP Pro for starters.

Lockherup, Feb 16, 2021
    rustedmetal likes this.
  3. rustedmetal

Elizabeth23

most anything will be complicated, there is no magic button, if you have installed xp and it is running what is the issue?

Elizabeth23, Feb 16, 2021
    rustedmetal likes this.
  4. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

I actually made a mistake, i have SP2 installed not SP3. I tried editing the post but didn't see the edit option. Anyway, yeah i just want to install the missing updates which now includes SP3 and the unofficially SP4. My goal with the laptop is just to have it as actualized as possible like it would have been back when it was last supported me Microsoft. I know it won't be very practical for surfing but that's not what i'm aiming for, like i said it's just a hobby.

rustedmetal, Feb 17, 2021
  5. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Oh, trust me i went through hell with a Viao which i installed Vista into but a lot of drivers were missing. But i'm not saying that i want an easy process with the touch of a button, i know better than that. What i'm looking for is maybe some info that could lead me in the right direction because i could read different things online from different sites saying how to do something a hundred different ways so at the end only one works. So, now i need SP3 and the unofficial SP4 but i'm also confused about nlite.

rustedmetal, Feb 17, 2021
  6. rustedmetal

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2021
    rustedmetal likes this.
  7. rustedmetal

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Feb 17, 2021
    rustedmetal likes this.
  8. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Amazing. I'll look that up on saturday since my schedule doesn't allow me to do anything outside of that. Thanks a lot

rustedmetal, Feb 20, 2021
  9. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Yeah, i really like it. The bass is definitely impressive. I have a 2014 or so Toshiba laptop which although basic in build style it is very tough and well made. I say so because i have more a more expensive HP that already has broken parts that resulted of out regular wear and tear. It's a shame that they exited the laptop business. Same with Sony but that's a topic for another day. Anyway thanks for the links.

rustedmetal, Feb 20, 2021
  10. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

I hav
    i have a concern about the updates. As with Windows OS will there be an update included that will constantly be poping up asking you to update to the next supported OS?

rustedmetal, Feb 21, 2021
  11. rustedmetal

Elizabeth23

the updates I noted for you to download are the ie8 updates, as for the EOL update, I never downloaded it or installed it. Now when you decide to go to microsoft updates and do the updates for xp, do not choose the express option always choose custom and then you can simply uncheck those updates that you do not want

avoid update KB2934207, this is the EOL update.

And once my system is updated, I disable automatic updates. :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 21, 2021
    rustedmetal likes this.
  12. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

That sounds great. Thank you very much.

rustedmetal, Feb 22, 2021
  13. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

It sucks that now i have to use third party sites to download other drivers like Wi-Fi though.

rustedmetal, Feb 22, 2021
  14. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Thank you very much for the SP3. It installed flawlessly but i do have a problem where the WiFi does want to work. The signal is there, the driver is working properly apparently but i get a message saying that Windows was unable to find find a certificate to log you into the network. Also the status stays as "Validating identity". It picks up the signal as excellent but that's about it. Any thoughts? Could it be that it might be missing some updates..i dunno?

rustedmetal, Mar 8, 2021
  15. rustedmetal

Elizabeth23

does your cell phone work near the pc? at my house until we got wifi we could not use the internet on the cell phone, but also without any additional hardware my desktop, dell dimension 3000 will not use wifi so I use an ethernet lan connection.

https://www.nashvillecomputerguru.c...ws-xp-to-manage-wireless-network-connections/

follow instructions at above link, xp seems to work better if you allow windows to handle the wifi connection

Elizabeth23, Mar 8, 2021
  16. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Cell phone? Yes it works. That fix did not work i will have to see maybe if i find some random drivers from third party sites. Thank you very much.

rustedmetal, Mar 8, 2021
  17. rustedmetal

Elizabeth23

do not use random drivers, look in device manager, do you have any yellow exclamation points that would point to a needed driver?

Elizabeth23, Mar 8, 2021
  18. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

Yeah, they are working just fine.

rustedmetal, Mar 9, 2021
  19. rustedmetal

rustedmetal

I heard something about newer routers not working with XP PCs? Not sure i would have to do more research on that.

rustedmetal, Mar 9, 2021
  20. rustedmetal

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 9, 2021
Ask a Question