Restoration of CAD files in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by 407Mainman, Sep 8, 2014.

1. 407Mainman

407Mainman

Yes, Last evening I installed Norton Power Eraser and ran a scan. Well, to show how ignorant I was, I didn't thoroughly check the files NPE said needed to be removed which were checked by NPE. So like a complete idiot, I clicked the "REMOVE" button. Needless to say, all my CAD files and past drawings were deleted. I attempted a System Restore to restore the deleted files but that didn't work. My AutoCAD program was restored but the files containing the drawings didn't get restored. I then ran Spotmau PowerSuite 2012 File Restore in Advanced Mode but wasn't able to restore these CAD files. So, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might restore these CAD files? I have a great deal of time invested in these drawings, and to be quite honest, time is not on my side to reconstruct these drawings. I was certain System Restore would revert my system back to the state it was prior to the NPE scan and removal. But was I mistaken.

407Mainman, Sep 8, 2014
  2. 407Mainman

Jojo

The files are permanently lost I'm afraid.

But may I suggest you look for a different eraser. Anything Norton is like anything Apple, loaded with spyware.

One of the best I know of is Zerofootprint Crypt.http://zero-footprint-crypt.en.softonic.com/

It's free and been around since the year dot. Be careful while installing for any offeres. Kinda everywhere these days sadly. But once it's in it's excellent for encryption and eraser.

Jojo, Sep 8, 2014
  3. 407Mainman

Elizabeth23

from here

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2014
  4. 407Mainman

Jojo

My apologies. I thought Power Eraser was just that. It is of course an anti malware program.

I was completely wrong. No excuse. I should have checked.

Jojo, Sep 9, 2014
  5. 407Mainman

Elizabeth23

did you restore the files??

a system restore does just that , restores the system, programs and documents are not affected. But if a document is not there it will not be there in a system restore action.

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2014
  6. 407Mainman

407Mainman

CAD File Restoration

Thanks for the illuminating info. Elizabeth is absolutely right. Performing a System Restore did nothing. . . and I mean nothing. However, just to make sure Norton Power Eraser "may have" provided a restoration option, I opened NPE and sure enough there is was: A "Restore Deleted files" option. So, I was able to restore my lost CAD files.

Thanks again.

407Mainman, Sep 18, 2014
  7. 407Mainman

Elizabeth23

You are welcome, :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2014
Ask a Question