request asstiance with software install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Methen, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Methen

Methen

Hi I am having a problem with a install that I believe that is a windows error and I have tried to search for the problem but I cant find anything on it,

The program iam trying to reinstall due to some errors is program called wingroove its a very old midi program that has been discontinued for a long time but you can still down load it, The problem Iam having is I keep getting the error cannot create directory or folder and when I go to check the folder is already created, I did a complete uninstall and tried several times but to no avail

I can how ever install the thing on my external drive with no problems or I can install it on my c drive so long as it is not in a folder I also tried creating different folder names and that does not work
    anyone have a ideal what may be causing the problem and how to fix it ?

Methen, Nov 29, 2017
  2. Methen

Elizabeth23

General MIDI

WinGroove has apparently been abandoned mid-development, but is still an excellent sounding general MIDI synthesizer. The latest available version, 0.A4 Beta-2, can be freely obtained from the site.

Installation note: After downloading wg0a4_e.exe, run it in order to extract the installation files into a temporary directory. Then, from within that directory, go to START -> RUN and type "WGINSTLR.EXE FULLSET.LST". The rest of the process should be trouble free - but do not skip restarting Windows at the end.

above is from THIS site

also it will not work on a 64bit xp

Elizabeth23, Nov 29, 2017
  3. Methen

Methen

I tried but when I went to put in WGINSTLR.EXE FULLSET.LST in the run command I got a can not find error...

Methen, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Methen

Elizabeth23

what version is your download? and what site did you get it from?

5. Methen

Methen

I do not remember the site I got it a long time ago
    but it says WinGroove version 0.A4 Beta-2

Methen, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Methen

Elizabeth23

7. Methen

Methen

Yeah it works, Ive been using it for years, I did how ever find a version that installed in the c drives and that installed ok,
    But Iam still having a problem opening up midis which I forgot to Methen, When I go to change the file association back to
    wingroove I get a popup saying C:\~1\Methen\My\midis is not a midi file. when they are as I can play them on winamp.

Now here is where it gets very strange, If I use the wingroove to open up the folder that contains my midis on the external hard Drive they play ok, But if I try to play them on the computer in a folder I get a similar error like above, How ever if I take the midis out of the folder and put them on the desk top they play just fine, in short its telling I cannot create a folder in the programs to install like I usually do and I cannot use a folder on the computer to play the midis in But I can play them if I take them out of the folder...
    Have fun trying figuring that one out as I have never had a error like that

Methen, Nov 29, 2017
  8. Methen

Elizabeth23

where are you creating the folder? try creating one in documents and settings under your name and see if that makes a difference.

9. Methen

Methen

Thanks very much for the help, But something is seriously out of wack on this computer, Iam just going to have to wait until I do a reformat, Thanks anyway...

Methen, Nov 29, 2017
  10. Methen

Elizabeth23

okay, let us know if you need other help, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 30, 2017
Ask a Question