Replacing the Windows XP with Kernel with NT 10

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by dawsonwehage, Dec 22, 2019.

1. dawsonwehage

dawsonwehage

Hey guys, do you think there any possibility in replacing the Windows NT kernel at all with NT 10. I remember there was a way to do it with Windows 7 but support ends with that next month. Any ideas?

dawsonwehage, Dec 22, 2019
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  2. dawsonwehage

tingspace

I never heard of a way to do it and based on my understanding of the underlying architecture you're not be able to hot-swap kernels without doing some serious grunt-work to make some layers talk to each other (And I mean some serious work using the core source code as opposed to writing some code on the existing installs)

I'd say this isn't really possible without Microsoft doing it. But I'd be happy to be wrong.

tingspace, Dec 22, 2019
    Connor McMahon and dawsonwehage like this.
  3. dawsonwehage

dawsonwehage

What about windows 7/8?

dawsonwehage, Dec 22, 2019
  4. dawsonwehage

tingspace

I'd think it's a lot easier than compared to Win XP (Given that a lot of the NT 10 kernel is the 6.x kernel but renamed and updated rather than replaced)

That said, I still think it's a pretty large task and you would need to have a team(s) going through it and it would also need to be heavily tested to make to catch any compatibility changes as the newer updates may not work with the existing shell components of Win7.

tingspace, Dec 22, 2019
  5. dawsonwehage

Georgeajha

If you do, disable the acpi driver because the it is now safe to turn off your computer is still in winlogon.exe in windows xp

Georgeajha, Feb 20, 2020
Ask a Question