Reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Duluth, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Duluth

Duluth

Appreciate the opportunity to post here. After 12 years, numerous XP updates, and several users, my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop had become so slow it was unusable. Reinstalling XP from original CDs has it running fast again but it's in 16 bit color and low resolution; the window size is too small to work with and Control Panel / Display doesn't give option for higher resolution. Also, can't connect to my DSL modem/router via Ethernet cable. I've been struggling with trying to install drivers for the video controller and LAN controller; it's not going well. The laptop can't seem to find the correct drivers on install CD marked "drivers". So I've tried moving drivers from the Dell Inspiron support site to USB stick in my Mac, then to laptop. Haven't given up but I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Duluth, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Duluth

Elizabeth23

http://www.dell.com/support/content...-downloads/drivers-and-downloads/drivers-help

dell reinstall facts

==========

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN148687

correct order to install dell drivers

===========

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-1100/drivers

drivers to download, generic, if you input your service tag you will get drivers specific to your laptop.

===========

Start installing drivers again from the nss, then chipset, then the rest in order, it will not hurt to install again.

after, look at device manager and see what yellow exclamation points there are and tell me what they are so I can help you find the correct drivers, do not go online until you have an antivirus installed offline.

Elizabeth23, Aug 9, 2016
  3. Duluth

Duluth

thanks for the reply.

In the Driver Upgrade section specific to my Dell Service Tag there is 1 bios upgrade and the other is a firmware update for the combo drive relative to software i don't use. In the generic section there are 62 additional drivers. Are you suggesting i install all 64 drivers?

Not sure what "nss" is.

Device Manager currently marks the following with yellow exclamation points:
    -Ethernet Controller
    -Multimedia Audio Controller
    -PCI Modem
    -Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Duluth, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Duluth

Elizabeth23

did you even read anything on the FAQ sheet on reinstalling your os on a Dell??

no, you will not install all, nss = notebook (laptop) system software

ethernet is network driver, audio is under audio, video is under video, and I am not sure what a pci modem driver is, but the instructions below on finding an unknown driver will help, you will install the drivers that are on your laptop, if two drivers (or more) are available, then you will see what is installed on your pc, not all of the same type of pc's have the same drivers installed.

not sure what a driver UPGRADE section is, you want the drivers downloads section, what is your service tag number??

==================

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

http://pcidatabase.com/

There you can either search for the vendor from the vendor ID or directly get information about the device along with the vendor name by searching with the device ID.

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufactureres website and get the driver.

ORDER FOR DELL INSTALL DRIVERS

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
    Chipset or SMBus driver
    Processor Driver (if applicable)
    Video
    Audio (sound)
    Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
    Modem
    Network Card
    =============
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19281817.aspx
    how to find your dell sata drivers

=================

Elizabeth23, Aug 10, 2016
  5. Duluth

Frano35

I made really great Windows Instalation which uses about 2,5GB on hdd and 64.5MB of RAM after first boot with no drivers :O but I need to add static IP to connect to internet and cant make it to work fully automatic installation cuz it prompts me cd key and regional settings :/
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/f28wddtu7m6y774/Sveti+Session2.INI
    So if anyone knows way to help pls answer

Frano35, Sep 22, 2016
  6. Duluth

Elizabeth23

you might want to start your own thread, that way others will see your thread and there may be someone who can help you. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 22, 2016
Ask a Question