Registry changes will not save/want to disable autologon

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by mrvict0r, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mrvict0r

mrvict0r

Hello everyone. Im a fresh newbie to this site. Having a problem with XP MCE SP3 on a compaq presario.

I am on a fresh reload after a hard drive crash. Reloaded official copy from HP recovery CD's. Everything is looking OK except for logon issues.

Original issue is I want it to post a welcome screen, and after picking the user to login as, prompt me for a password.

What would happen after I set a password for "user1" is it attempts to auto logon, failes, says I need to check my password, click "OK" then sometimes it will get past it and get to the regular Welcome screen where choosing the user I want and manually putting the password in works, or other times it will just sit there at the "windows is starting up" screen and hangs untill I reboot.

I did some research and found a couple registry changes, user control change, and a clearing of autologon. The following are the 4 things I did.

1: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CURRENTVERSION\WINLOGON\AUTOADMINLOGON - I set that to 0 from 1

2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CURRENTVERSION\WINLOGON\DEFAULTPASSWORD - I deleted this key alltogether

3: Start\Run\control userpasswords2 - set the checkbox to "users must enter user name and password"

4: Start\Run\rundll32 netplwiz.dll,ClearAutoLogon

After all that, I rebooted and it WORKED!! wooohooo... then not so much.

It only works on the 1st reboot. Uppon windows loading, ALL the changes revert back to the way they were. then the cycle/problem repeats. The only work around I have right now is to clear all passwords. it automaticly logs into the first account I created (Im calling it user1 but there is a user2 as well) with no passwords or errors. I want to get it to the point where the 2 accounts have set passwords, and are choices on the welcome screen.

If anyone has heard of this before or can help, I would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks a ton in advance for anyone who has info to offer.

Aaron "noob" Victor

mrvict0r, Feb 1, 2011
Ask a Question