Regarding Serpent browser...

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Aug 16, 2019.

1. trimis

Janice

While waiting for a reply to my post #20 above, here is an update. I am posting this screen shot from my Firefox Portable 52.9 that shows what the Simple Add-on Manager is doing. I think the 1st item, Application Update Service Helper is the culprit (please refer to post above). I have been trying to disable this and the other 3 items after this, Multi-process staged rollout, Pocket and Web Compat but it does not allow me to disable any of these. But I can easily enable and disable any or all of the other add-ons, Starting from Ghostery down to Classic Add-ons Archive. What can I do?

The troublesome items, Application Update Service Helper, Multi-process staged rollout, Pocket and Web Compat, are all absent for my other instance of Firefox, which it FF 45 and also from Serpent, although I have installed Simple Add-on Manager in both these.

Add-on Manager.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Janice, Nov 14, 2019
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 15, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  3. trimis

ClippyBeer

This is why I no longer use Firefox, especially after the fiasco in May that automatically disabled all add-ons (Serpent was unaffected).

Here's some suggestions that may help although I haven't tried since I uninstalled Firefox:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/enable-...this-add-on-is-for-older-versions-of-firefox/

ClippyBeer, Nov 17, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  4. trimis

Janice

What version of FF do you use?

Janice, Nov 17, 2019
  5. trimis

Elizabeth23

firefox version 52.9.0 ESR

Elizabeth23, Nov 18, 2019
  6. trimis

Janice

I am using Serpent from the day you first introduced it to the forum. Before that I had FF and I still use it from time to time.
    This is exactly what I use and only I keep getting this pop up. Weird :eek:

Janice, Nov 19, 2019
  7. trimis

Janice

Kindly refer to my post #21 above. I have not been able to remove any of the extensions from the Simple Addon Manager - not even Pocket. See this attachment. I wonder if there is a newer solution to get rid of these items. This is with Firefox 52.9 ESR

Addon manager.png

Pocket is not at the location of the above link. This folder has only one item called "[email protected]. I deleted this, nothing hapenned and I restored it back from the recycle bin. Any help to get rid of these things will be greatly apreciated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Janice, Mar 17, 2021
  8. trimis

Elizabeth23

it might be because you are using a portable version?

all I know is I deleted the .xpi files, moved the icon in the browser to the unused box in customize section and as for automatic update, i never install mozilla maintenance

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2021
    Janice likes this.
  9. trimis

Janice

Yes you were right, it's because of the portable version. I found the culprits in a seperate folder away from the folder that carry the extensions installed by me. Here they are:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Deleted them and problem solved. Thank you very much :)

Janice, Mar 19, 2021
  10. trimis

Elizabeth23

so make yourself a note of this and keep in in a folder labeled Tips, that way in the future all the little fixes you have accomplished will be able to be duplicated, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 20, 2021
    Janice likes this.
Ask a Question