Red "X" on Realtek HTC 8139/810x on HP laptop with WXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by blockie, Jan 6, 2014.

1. blockie

blockie

I am helping a friend with the subject problem. Am advised that the only thing out of the ordinary is she let the battery rum down and then recharged it. She then couldn't connect to the internet. Before the battery ran down she was able to connect to the internet. She, also, advises that no other things were done to the computer.
    She asked me to take a look at it and I did. At my home,. her computer could detect my router. Tried to establish a connection, using my SSID and password, and could not.
    While trouble shooting I noticed that the subject device had a "red X" on it and a message that sid a "cable was disconnected". I would guess that it is not a cable disconnect but something else is wrong. Attempts to configure the subject device were fruitless.
    Where do I go from here?

blockie, Jan 6, 2014
  2. blockie

Elizabeth23

a cable disconnected warning is for a LAN connection not wifi

go to start, control panel, network connections, right click on whichever one is shown if you have more than one, say one for wifi and one for lan, then do each separately

when you right click on the connection you can choose either status or repair

when you choose repair, insure you let me know why it cannot repair, read each part as it checks and it will tell you what is wrong.

and I need to know the Make = HP, plus the model AND model number and I can see what drivers are available at the hp website, for lan or wifi?

Elizabeth23, Jan 7, 2014
  3. blockie

blockie

Here is the info about the computer.
    HP Pavillion dv1000 p/n EC137UA#ABA

The info about the network adapters.
    1. Broadband Status: not connected
    2. Lan with a 1394 connection. Status: Connected
    3. Network Bridge Status: Connected
    4. Broadband 802.11 b/g WLAN Status: connected
    5. LAN Red X network cable missing

I only did the status of each because I was using the touchpad and the computer is slower than molasses.
    Bill

blockie, Jan 8, 2014
  4. blockie

Elizabeth23

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=435618#N764

this page lists 8 different network drivers for your pc, I would suggest you let hp scan your pc, but since you cannot connect to the internet, you will have to download the drivers to a flash drive and then install from the flash drive to the afflicted pc.

also please try to connect to a lan connection with an ethernet cable, will it connect?

Elizabeth23, Jan 8, 2014
  5. blockie

blockie

Finally got on the internet, wirelessly.
    Now to download a few program and see if I can speed things up. Any suggestions on this?
    Bill

blockie, Jan 10, 2014
  6. blockie

Elizabeth23

speed up how, is the internet slow, is explorer slow?

what is your current antivirus?

first you want to ensure your system is clean

run disk cleanup

and then this:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

Elizabeth23, Jan 10, 2014
  7. blockie

blockie

I'm in the process of doing everything you suggested. As I go along I see the computer speed increasing. Start, close. searches, browsing, everything.
    Bill

blockie, Jan 12, 2014
  8. blockie

blockie

After running the scan suggested and rebooting after each I deleted all the bad stuff. Then rebooted again. The startup wasa considerably slower. Here is the time line in seconds.
    0 Bios
    6 Windows logo
    22 Windows starts loading
    99 Notification area begins to populate
    119 Some more notifications
    179 TeamViewer finally notifies

In addition to the slow startup, loading program or opening a folder took approx. 25 seconds to start after the click.
    Have not run anti spyware or anti malware a second time yet.

Second problem is my friend wanted the screen icons larger. so I went to DISPLAY.....ADVANCED and increased the size to 150%. After rebooting , The icons were no larger.

What else do you recommend for both problems?
    Bill

blockie, Jan 12, 2014
  9. blockie

Elizabeth23

for display, did you go to display, appearance, advanced, icons?

you will need to download autoruns to see what is starting on boot, my pc takes one minute to startup from the second I push restart until desktop is ready to go.

the scans should be run until they show clean

what was your current antivirus?

link to autoruns:

AUTORUNS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

I would scrutinize what you have loading on StartUp. You need to see if you have programs loading during boot process which might be changed to on demand.
    With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting, or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach than editing the Registry and better than using msconfig.
    Another useful feature of the program is that you can right click an item and select Search Online to get information about the item selected.
    When using Autoruns you will need to click on the "Logon" tab to see what is running at start-up.

Elizabeth23, Jan 12, 2014
  10. blockie

Elizabeth23

In Display click the Appearance tab.
    In Appearance click the Effects button.
    If Effects check the "Use large icons" option and click Ok.

or did you do this?

sometimes malware will affect the pc, so insure it is clean and then we can troubleshoot some more.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Large-Icons-in-Windows-XP

above has pictures to show how to do this with the advanced button and not the effects button

11. blockie

Elizabeth23

12. blockie

blockie

I used Autoruns as suggested and have the startup down to 1 minute. I think I will stop while ahead.
    You have been a great help. I would be nice if I had a shortcut to turn off the machine that would operate like Start.........Shutdown........ Turn off. That way I would have one step instead of three, a real bother when using the touchpad.

blockie, Jan 12, 2014
  13. blockie

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 13, 2014
Ask a Question