Recurring Disk Space Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by WhoMe, Aug 18, 2012.

1. WhoMe

WhoMe

Hey Experts,

I've got an HP Mini 110 running XP Home. I use it to read email, do some wordprocessing and watch movies at hulu and amazon. My browsing history gets cleared fairly regularly. Every couple of months or so, I do a defrag and run the utility that cleans up the hard drive. Microsoft essentials says that I have no viruses.

And yet, the mini is running slow and when I went to defrag today, I got a message that I don't have enough free disk space to run the utility. This seems to happen to me on all of my laptops. I am obsessive about removing programs I don't use, don't store music or photos on the mini. What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

WhoMe, Aug 18, 2012
  2. WhoMe

WhoMe

Please help with this. I'm not an expert by any means, just someone who doesn't want to lose this computer.

WhoMe, Aug 18, 2012
  3. WhoMe

brokenwindows

15% of your drive needs to be free in order to defrag
    rest your mouse over the drive you want to defrag to see how much is free space

brokenwindows, Aug 19, 2012
  4. WhoMe

WhoMe

Thanks for your reply. My question is, why do I always end up with this problem of not enough disk space when I don't store anything locally? I understand that I need 15% free disk space, but there is nothing to remove that I know of.

WhoMe, Aug 19, 2012
  5. WhoMe

Frankie

Try CCleaner to remove excess junk from your computer, things like Temp files etc and see if that works

Frankie, Sep 12, 2012
Ask a Question