Reading COM port on interrupt? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by BeachView, May 9, 2023.

1. BeachView

BeachView

Hello,

I am new to this board and to hardware programming in general. I am not asking about a driver, but I wasn't sure where to post my question.

I am sending data from one laptop to another using modems that are connected to their respective serial ports. When the receiving laptop sees data on the serial port, I would like that event to force the execution of another program on the receiving laptop to write the data to a file

I have read that Windows does not allow user-level programs to access interrupts. If this is true, what's the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do? We are using Windows XP.

Thanks to all who read this.

BeachView, May 9, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  2. BeachView

Borg

I think you got carried away. Just use TCP/IP to reliably transfer files over modem link. If you want to do it directly, you will have to care about CRC and retransmisions. Why too big overkill.

Setup TCP/IP over that connection, then just copy file using whatever you want
    (FTP, HTTP, NetCat, SCP, rsync). setup simple .cmd (aka BAT) file to handle all the batch tasks you need.

Borg, May 9, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  3. BeachView

BeachView

Thank you! As I thought about it, I saw that I was making things too complicated.

BeachView, May 9, 2023
    Samir likes this.
Ask a Question