Re-loading XP - can I get Updates from Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by thor, Aug 6, 2014.

1. thor

thor

Got operating system problems with an old (2005) dell XP Laptop. I have a valid XP SP3 CD. Will I be able to get all of the XP updates from Microsoft after I install the XP CD and Dell driver disk? Worried because of the lack of support from Microsoft for XP now.
    thor

thor, Aug 6, 2014
  2. thor

Elizabeth23

the lack of support is for any NEW security updates, all the other updates are still available from Microsoft updates,

once os with sp3 is installed then you need to install an antivirus offline preferably, do not go online unless it is to go to microsoft updates only until pc is fully patched.

=============

if you have a flash drive or external drive available you can use WSUS to download all the updates, (this is a lengthy process and some of the updates that require a wga verification will not be downloaded), and then install before ever going online, after you do your clean install and then install the updates, then you can go to microsoft updates for the rest.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

==

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Aug 7, 2014
  3. thor

Elizabeth23

ALSO:

download ie8 from here and install before going to microsoft updates

http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp

for some reason the microsoft download center would not give my a download page for ie8, and all my old links go straight to a page telling you to upgrade out of xp

so Filehippo is pretty well thought of as a download alternative.

Elizabeth23, Aug 7, 2014
  4. thor

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 7, 2014
Ask a Question